About Roosevelt Library
Roosevelt Library was built in 1927 by Minneapolis architect Jerome Paul Jackson to serve the adjacent Roosevelt High School and the Roosevelt neighborhood. The library was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in May 2000 and designated a Building of Cultural Significance by the City of Minneapolis through its Historic Preservation Commission.The building was completely renovated in 2012-13.|
The architect of the renovation is Hagen, Christensen & McIlwain Architects. Library square footage, including the new multipurpose room, is 4,511 square feet. Project budget is $3.2 million. Funding was provided by City of Minneapolis bond proceeds from the city-wide 2000 library referendum.
· Addition of 500-square-foot multipurpose community room
· Refreshed collection of books, DVDs and CDs
· More access to technology: a pilot program will provide 12 iPads for patron use within the building; more public computers (15 total, an increase of 4) and wireless Internet.
· Improved spaces for children, teens and adults, including a teen area that accommodates out-of-school use
· An interactive early literacy space for young children
· More casual seating/lounge areas
· Accessible entry and main floor public restrooms
· Increased operational efficiencies, with one customer service point
· More efficient staff work area, with a staff work station and materials handling area
· Increased natural light; refurbished windows; duplication of several of the original features, including faux skylights and window seats
· Outdoor public spaces with three benches for reading/gathering
· Other exterior improvements: tuck pointing of the brick façade; restored exterior decorative light fixtures; a new fence; a new sidewalk; a new bike rack; new landscaping, including a variety of perennial flowers and plants plus some lawn space; a new monument sign in front of the building; resurfaced parking lot
· Environmental/sustainable features include new, energy efficient mechanical and electrical systems; lighting; and an updated storm water management system