Easy-to-use Power Check energy meters from Xcel Energy can be checked out for three weeks from Hennepin County Library.
The energy meters can be plugged into any standard 120-volt electric appliance to measure voltage, electricity cost, and electric consumption. They come with home energy assessment instructions, worksheets, money-saving energy tips, and information about rebates and incentive programs.
The meters will help you:
- Identify high energy use appliances in your home.
- Determine how much it costs to use appliances.
- Predict your savings in reducing appliance use.
- Calculate the cost-savings of replacing older equipment with energy-efficient models.
- Identify "energy vampires" - appliances that use energy when switched off.
See the Xcel Energy website for instructions for using the meter in English, Hmong, and Spanish, as well as an instructional video.