Book Club Kits
by Erdrich, Louise
Print this page
Email this list
1. Family relationships, good and bad, are at the center of "Love Medicine." What do you think Erdrich is saying about the nature of family, and family connections?
2. Erdrich tells the story with interconnected short stories that different narrators and take place at different times. What did you think of this literary style? How would the story have been different if told by a single narrator?
3. How does the interaction with the non-Indian world affect the characters? What connections have the strongest impact? Do you see the interactions as mostly positive or negative?
4. "Love Medicine" takes place over 50 years. How do events during those years (war, social change, etc.) affect the characters?
5. "Love Medicine" is set on and near a reservation in North Dakota. How does this setting impact the book, and the characters?
6. What is the meaning of the title of the book? Why did Erdrich choose this section of the book to use for the title?