Book Club Kits
How Green Was My Valley
by Llewellyn, Richard
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why is Huw Morgan leaving the Valley?
2. Huw is looking back on his childhood as he tells the story of his family and community. Would the story have been different if told by Gwilym, Ivor, or Angharad?
3. Music is important for the Morgans, and for the broader community. What roles do music and singing play for the characters, and for the story?
4. What changes come to the Valley that impact the Morgan family? Were they inevitable?
5. "How Green Was My Valley" is nostalgic for close-knit communities and families, with stable jobs and opportunities. Do you think life was really that ideal during Huw's childhood? Does he paint a realistic portrait of what life was like?
6. "How Green Was My Valley" was made into an Academy Award winning film in 1941. If you've seen the movie, how do you think it compares with the book?