Book Club Kits
The Lost Mother
by Morris, Mary McGarry
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why do you think Irene married Henry? Could she have pursued her dreams of going on to college and getting a job once she married and had children?
2. Why do you think Irene left her family? Do you think she really knew why she decided to leave?
3. Why does Gladys stay connected to Henry and his family, even though she knows her love for Henry may not be returned?
4. What do you think motivates Mr. and Mrs. Farley to become involved with Thomas and Margaret?
5. Do you think Irene sees her relationship with Mr. Dexter as being better than the life she left behind with Henry?
6. What do you think the author wants the reader to think about family relationships after reading the novel? How are the families (Henry & Irene, Henry & Gladys, the Farleys, Irene & Mr. Dexter) portrayed in the novel? Which family would have been best for Margaret and Thomas?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides