Book Club Kits
by Begley, Louis
Print this page
Email this list
1. As the novel opens, Albert Schmidt is facing many changes in his life, including losing his wife and his job, and his daughter's pending marriage. How does he face these changes? Do you think men and women handle these sorts of changes differently?
2. What is the attraction between Schmidt and Carrie? What does each of them bring to their relationship?
3. Why does Schmidt have such strong feelings about Jon Riker? Is he justified in his response to Jon?
4. How does Charlotte feel about Schmidt? How do her feelings change throughout the book? Do you think they have a typical father-daughter relationship?
5. How does Schmidt feel about getting older? Is he comfortable with the changes that are taking place as he ages?
6. Have you seen the movie version of About Schmidt? How is it different from Begleys novel?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides