Book Club Kits
The Autobiography of My Mother
by Kincaid, Jamaica
Print this page
Email this list
1. What did you think of Xuela's relationship with her father? What impact did he have on her life?
2. Xuela is the daughter of a Carib mother and a Scots and African father; she sees herself as both part of a dying culture and as part of a nation that has been colonized. How does her background lead her to view the concepts of race, social class, and political differences?
3. Why do you think Xuela doesn't want children? How does her mother's death affect her feelings on motherhood?
4. Why do you think Xuela married Philip Bailey? Do you think she played a role in the death of his wife?
5. What were your impressions of Xuela? Did you find her easy to empathize with?
6. At the end of her life, Xuela ends up alone. Do you think this was inevitable for her, or could she have changed the outcome?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides