Book Club Kits
The Catcher in the Rye
by Salinger, J. D.
Print this page
Email this list
1. Do you think Holden could be considered a typical teenager?
2. What does Holden mean by 'phony'? Who does he think is phony and why?
3. How does his brother Allie's death affect Holden?
4. Why does Holden feel such a strong connection to his sister Phoebe? Does she feel the same connection to him?
5. Why does the song "Coming through the Rye" hold meaning for Holden? What does it mean to him to be "The Catcher in the Rye?"
6. Do you consider this book to be a classic? Why or why not?