Book Club Kits
The Emperor of Ocean Park
by Carter, Stephen L.
Print this page
Email this list
1. What role does chess play in the story? Can "The Emperor of Ocean Park" be seen as a game of chess?
2. Tal and Kimmer's failing marriage are an important part of the story. How does his troubled marriage mirror the larger mysteries Tal struggles with in the story?
3. What role does race and racism play in the story? How do Tal and the Judge think about race and racism?
4. Was the Judge an evil person? Can you understand why he made the choices he did? If you were Tal, could you forgive him?
5. Talcott discovers the secrets of his family and friends throughout the story. How does he deal with what he learns?
6. What about "The Emperor of Ocean Park" is like a traditional mystery novel? What makes it different?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides