Book Club Kits
Slaves in the Family
by Ball, Edward
Print this page
Email this list
1. By reading "Slaves in the Family," did you learn anything new about the history of slavery and it's impact on American life today?
2. Did the responses Ball received from any of the other descendents surprise you? Why or why not?
3. By writing about his family, Ball is making his family's history as slave owners public. Do you support his decision to talk about this part of his family's, and America's past?
4. In the Reader's Guide interview between Ball and Sonya Fordham, they discuss their families' response to the book. Why do you think their families had such different reactions to what Ball was writing?
5. In their discussion, Fordham and Ball discuss the years after the end of slavery, and the effects of Civil Rights Movement. Do you think the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s was successful?
6. To write this book, Ball did extensive genealogical research. Have you ever explored your family's history?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides