Book Club Kits
by Levy, Andrea
Print this page
Email this list
1. The characters in "Small Island" struggle with issues of race and class, as well as national identity. How do each of the characters approach these differences?
2. Each of the characters is affected by the war. How did World War II change their lives?
3. How does Gilbert and Hortense's life in Jamaica differ from their life in England? Would they have moved to England if they new the struggles they'd face?
4. The story is told from the perspective of each of the four main characters. Which character did you relate to the most?
5. What do you think about the way Queenie handled the birth of her child?
6. What is the meaning of the title? What or where is the 'small island'?
|Additional discussion questions from: