Book Club Kits
First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers
by Ung, Loung
Print this page
Email this list
1. Were you aware of what happened in Cambodia during the years the Khmer Rouge were in power before you read this book? What did you learn about those years?
2. What was Loung's life like in Phnom Penh before the war? How did her father's position in the government impact the family and what happened to them?
3. How did Loung's time as a child solder in the work camp affect her? How do you think she was able to survive in such difficult conditions?
4. The members of the Ung family were separated by the war, and not all of them survived. How do you think your family would react to the situations the Ung family faced?
5. What are Loung and her family's impressions of life in America? How do they acclimate to their new home?
6. How has Luong's childhood experience of war affected her choices as adult?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides