Book Club Kits
by Robinson, Marilynne
Print this page
Email this list
1. What role does religion play in the lives of the characters? How does Robinson use religious imagery to set the tone of the book?
2. How are John's marriages different from each other? What does John bring to each relationship?
3. John struggles with his distrust of Jack. What makes their relationship so difficult?
4. How does John come to terms with his brother's atheism? Why does Edward leave the church?
5. What is the meaning of the title of the book? Do the characters find the Gilead they are looking for?
6. John's grandfather came to the Midwest as an abolitionist, and the novel ends a century later at the beginning of the civil rights movement. What does "Gilead" tell us about this period in American history?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides