Book Club Kits
The City of Ember
by DuPrau, Jeanne
Print this page
Email this list
1. Where does the light come from in the city of Ember? Why are lightbulbs an important item? Why is the shortage of lightbulbs and other items a problem?
2. Describe Lina and Doon. What jobs are they assigned? What jobs did they want? Why did Doon and Lina trade jobs?
3. Why do you think Lina draws pictures of a city that is not quite the same as Ember, even though the Book of the City of Ember clearly states that there are no other cities besides Ember?
4. What is going wrong in the city of Ember? Why does Doon want to see the generator? What does it look like, and what does it do? Why do you think no one in Ember can fix the generator? What will happen to the city if the generator breaks down?
5. Why did Lina go to the shop on Night Street? What did she see on the way there? Who runs the shop? Why do you think colorful things are so rare in Ember? Why are the colored pencils so expensive?
6. Who found the missing box? What was in it, and why was this important? Why couldn't Lina read the instructions?
7. What is the Singing? What are the three songs the people sing? Why do you think they sing these songs every year?
8. What did Doon discover behind the door in tunnel 351? Who was in the secret treasure room? Who delivers things to the mayor's secret stash? What kinds of things did Looper give to Lina's friend Lizzie, that made Lina suspicious?
9. How did Doon, Lina and Poppy leave Ember? Where does the river go? What item did Poppy find at the end of the river, and what did it tell them? What did the notice on the wall say?
10. What did Lina and Doon discover through the chasm in the hilltop? How did they send a message to the people left in Ember? What did their message say?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Jeanne DuPrau's website