Book Club Kits
How Angel Peterson Got His Name
by Paulsen, Gary
Print this page
Email this list
1. Paulsen says that boys just have the need to participate in certain activities (i.e. peeing on electric fences) as a part of growing up. Have you ever done something as extreme as the boys in the book? Was it worth it? Did you learn anything from the experience?
2. Did you enjoy reading short stories? How did it compare to reading a full-length novel?
3. How does the time period play a part in the stories? How would the stories be different if they took place today?
4. Emil said he held onto the parachute kite because it cost him so much to buy. If you were in his place, would you have held on like he did or let go the moment you knew you were in trouble?
5. How did you react when Orvis wrestled the bear at the circus? Why did no one stop him?
6. What did the boys do to get closer to girls? Do you think boy/girl relationships have changed since then?
7. Who is Archie? Why do the boys hang around him so much?
8. Do you think that these stories would be more/less entertaining if they were made up?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Publisher's website for Gary Paulsen