Book Club Kits
by Woods, Brenda
Print this page
Email this list
1. Based on what the characters in the book say about Emako, how would you describe her? What were her talents, her hopes, her dreams? What effect did Emako have on the lives of the people who knew her?
2. Why does Savannah dislike Emako? How is Savannah's life different than Emako's? How is it better? How is it worse?
3. Emako's friends react differently to her death. How do they each respond?
4. What do you want your funeral to be like? How do you want your friends and family to remember you?
5. Why do you think the author chose to tell this story from different character's point of view? Do you like this technique? Why or why not?
6. This book does not include Dante's perspective. How would you tell Dante's story? Do you think he is responsible for Emako's death?
7. This book explores the effects that gang violence can have on a community. What do you think are some of the reasons that young people join gangs? What can communities and schools do to address the problem of gangs?