Book Club Kits
American Born Chinese
by Yang, Gene Luen
Print this page
Email this list
1. Jin is told, "it is easy to become anything you wish so long as you're willing to forfeit your soul." What did the Monkey King, Jin Wang and Danny sacrifice from their life to become part of the crowd they wanted to join?
2. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story in the three different parts? Would you have liked the story as much if it only focused on Jin Wang?
3. Have you ever read a graphic novel before? Did you like the graphic novel style for telling the story? Would this have been the same story if it had been told in novel format?
4. How did you feel about the character Jin Wang? Would you want to be friends with him?
5. Why does Jin get so upset with Wei-Chen?
6. Were you surprised at how the stories merged? Did you like it? Why or why not?
7. Has there ever been a time in your school experience where you felt like Jin or Danny? Have you seen it happen at your school?
8. Yang uses a television show to tell Chin-Kee's story. Why do you think he does this? Was it effective? Why?
9. The Monkey King chooses to be stuck in the mountain of rocks for 500 years, to escape he must return to his "true form." How do the other characters experience this in American Born Chinese?
10. Why does Jin Wang kiss Suzy?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Gene Yang's website