Book Club Kits
A Can of Peas
by DePree, Traci
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why do Peter and Mae decide to try farming for a living?
2. Lake Emily is a very small, rural community where everyone seems to know everyone else. What are the benefits to this way of life? Are there drawbacks?
3. Much of the novel focuses on family relationships - Peter and Mae, Virginia and Peter, Jessie and her father, and the Biddle twins, among others. What does the author have to say about families?
4. The author uses flashbacks to show the reader important events in the lives of many of the characters. What did you learn about the characters through the flashbacks?
5. Many of the characters in this novel are going through transitions in their lives; Peter and Mae are learning about farm living, and Virginia is a new widow. What do the characters learn about themselves as their lives change?
6. What role does religious faith play in the lives of the Lake Emily residents?