Book Club Kits
84 Charing Cross Road
by Hanff, Helene
Print this page
Email this list
1. 84 Charing Cross Road is a collection of letters that were sent over a 20-year time span. Did you enjoy reading a book in this format? Why or why not?
2. Because these are actual letters, there is no author description of the characters (i.e. appearance or motivations). Were you satisfied by filling in with your own imagination?
3. Letters are often considered a dying art in our contemporary culture. Do you think that the relationship created between Helene and Frank could be created with modern, electronic communications?
4. These letters are a first-hand reflection of the post WWII era. Did you learn anything new about this time period?
5. Were you disappointed that Helene and Frank never met in person? If they had met, do you think they would have gotten along? If they had met, would this book of letters still be interesting?
6. Several times, Helene writes about the superior quality of the English books she has purchased. When you read a book, are you aware of the quality of the pages or the binding?
7. Helene Hanff is best known for this book. Had you previously heard of her or any of the television programs that she mentioned writing for?
8. 84 Charing Cross Road was made into a movie in 1987 starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins. Have you seen the movie? If so, did the actors fit your interpretation of Helene and Frank?