Book Club Kits
The Year of Magical Thinking
by Didion, Joan
Print this page
Email this list
1. What does Didion mean by "magical thinking?" Have you ever experienced anything like she describes? How did this "magical thinking" impact your ability to deal with the situation?
2. How would you describe Didion's approach to the events of her "Year of Magical Thinking?" How do you think you would respond to a situation like she faced?
3. Didion uses poetry throughout the book to expand on some themes. Which poems did you most enjoy, and why?
4. Do you think Didion's "year of magical thinking" lasted for just one year, or did it last longer than that? Is there a time where you think she starts to move back to her usual approach to life?
5. What did you think of Didion's relationship with her husband, and with her daughter?
6. "The Year of Magical Thinking" has been made into a Broadway play. How do you think this story will translate to a staged version?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides