Book Club Kits
A Corner of the Universe
by Martin, Ann M.
Print this page
Email this list
1. In what ways does the title relate to the book and what does it mean to Adam, Hattie and Leila?
2. How important is the carnival to the events in the book and to Hattie and Adam?
3. Why does the whole family keep Adam's existence a secret from Hattie and the town?
4. What are some of the secrets the characters keep and why do they keep them? How do those secrets affect the people keeping them and those close to them?
5. Would those people still feel the need to keep those secrets if the story took place now or in a city?
6. Why is Hattie's friendship with Leila so important to her? Why is it easier for her to make friends with Leila than some of the other girls in town?
7. Would you like to have Hattie or Leila for a friend?
8. Are attitudes toward mental illness the same now as they were in the book which was set in the 1960s?
9. Did reading this book change your perceptions about those with mental illnesses or disabilities?
10. How does Adam effect the lives of those people who took the time to get to know him?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Publisher's Reading Guide