Book Club Kits
by Wolff, Virginia Euwer
Print this page
Email this list
1. What is LaVaughn's plan for the future? Do you think LaVaughn will carry out her plan?
2. Much of the book focuses on the idea of appearance versus reality. Explain how this theme applies to the following characters: Lester, Jody, Myrtle and Annie, Patrick.
3. Would this book be as powerful if it were written in a more conventional manner? Why or why not?
4. Does Jody actually do anything to make LaVaughn believe that he might be her boyfriend?
5. Discuss the significance of the pink jellyfish on page 157.
6. Compare and contrast the lives of LaVaughn and Jolly.
7. Dr. Rose says, "Defining moments present themselves to us, often disguised, when we must make momentous decisions that shape our lives." What is LaVaughn's defining moment in this book? What decisions does she make?
8. LaVaughn calls herself a "true believer." What does she believe?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Publisher's Teaching Guide