Book Club Kits
by Shulman, Polly
Print this page
Email this list
1. Are you more like Ashleigh, the enthusiast, or Julie, the realist? Why?
2. Did the information about Julie's personal life (her parents' divorce, her father's new wife) add or distract from the main part of the story? Why?
3. Throughout the story Julie is careful to point out what a good friend Ashleigh is to her. Unfortunately, Ashleigh's not always a very good listener. At the same time, Julie is keeping secrets from Ashleigh. Could you still say they are great friends? Why or why not?
4. Did the right boys end up with the right girls in the end? Why or why not?
5. Parr is the Mr. Darcy of this novel. In what ways is he like Darcy? How is he different?
6. Have you ever read any of Jane Austen's books? If so, what similarities and differences do you see between Austen's works and Enthusiasm?
7. Although Julie complains about her friend's enthusiasm, what is good about Ashleigh's exuberance?
8. Have you ever had a crush on the same person as your best friend? If so, what happened?
9. Class was an important issue for people in Jane Austen's time. In what ways does the issue of class/money come up in Enthusiasm?
10. What do you think about Julie's relationship with her stepmother? Is it good or bad? Why was this relationship important in the book?