Book Club Kits
by Stockett, Kathryn
Print this page
Email this list
1. Who was your favorite character? Why?
2. What do you think motivated Hilly? On one hand shes so unpleasant to Aibileen and her own help, as well as to Skeeter once she realizes she cant control her. But shes a wonderful mother. Do you think you can be a good mother but at the same time a deeply flawed person?
3. How much of a persons character do you think is shaped by the times in which they live?
4. Did it bother you that Skeeter is willing to overlook so many of Stuarts faults so that she can get married, and its not until he literally gets up and walks away that the engagement falls apart?
5. Do you think Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?
6. Do you think that had Aibileen stayed working for Miss Elizabeth, that Mae Mobley would have grown up to be racist like her mother? Do you think racism is inherent, or taught?
7. The author manages to paint Aibileen with a quiet grace and an aura of wisdom about her. How do you think she does this?
8. What did you think about Minnys pie for Miss Hilly? Would you have gone as far as Minny did for revenge?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides