Book Club Kits
by Russell, Karen
Print this page
Email this list
1. How did Chiefs myth-making affect his children? How might things have been different if hed been more truthful?
2. On page 28, Chief introduces his theory of Carnival Darwinism, which he thought would save Swamplandia! How might it have been successful? Why wasnt it?
3. Belief --- in Carnival Darwinism, in ghosts --- plays a large role in the novel. What prompts Ossies beliefs? Avas? Where is the turning point in their belief systems?
4. The three Bigtree children are innocent for their ages. Which one matures the most over the course of the novel?
5. Did the Bird Man believe in the underworld, or did he have an ulterior motive all along?
6. Why doesnt Ava ever tell anyone what the Bird Man did?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides