Book Club Kits
Signs of Life
by Taylor, Natalie
Print this page
Email this list
1. Compare Natalie's experience to the times when you have had to find your way back from despair. Which aspects of her story could you relate to easily? Which aspects opened your eyes to the personal, individual nature of grief?
2. Were you surprised that Natalie might be stigmatized as a single mother? How is her parenting affected (perhaps even strengthened) by having to raise Kai without Josh? How do her own parents make a path for her to follow?
3. Marriage and dating are important elements in the lives of Natalie's friends. How would your dating checklists compare to Natalie's? Does marriage mean finding someone who meets all the criteria?
4. Discuss the role of "home" and a sense of place in Signs of Life. How is Natalie's identity shaped by houses, from the vacation house of her youth to the house she and Josh were renovating?
5. What are some of the differences between Moo and Ashley? How do these differences combine to give Natalie the full range of encouragement she needs?
6. Dr. G. assures Natalie, "You are only visiting this place," referring to a state of sadness and depression. Discuss some of the emotional places you have visited. Did they ultimately enrich your life journey?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Ladies Home Journal