Book Club Kits
Interpreter of Maladies: Stories
by Lahiri, Jhumpa
Print this page
Email this list
1. Which of the stories did you enjoy the most? Which did you find most challenging?
2. How do these stories reflect the immigrant experience?
3. Several different types of marriages are presented in the stories. Which marriages are the most different from each other? What do you think Lahiri wants the reader to think about marriage?
4. Several stories are set in India, and several in America. Besides the setting, what are the differences are between the stories?
5. Food is an important connection to home and family in several of the stories. Why do you think food is such a strong reminder of home for the characters in the stories?
6. Do you enjoy reading short stories? How are they different from reading a longer novel? Why do you think an author would choose to write a collection of short stories?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides