Book Club Kits
The Quiet American
by Greene, Graham
Print this page
Email this list
1. Can the relationship between Fowler, Pyle and Phuong be seen as a metaphor for the relationships between the countries' they're from?
2. Do you think that Fowler is really neutral in his opinions about what is happening in Vietnam?
3. How is Pyle a "quiet American?" How does his impression of Vietnam change during his time there? Is he really as innocent as he seems?
4. Is Pyle responsible for what happens to Fowler and Phuong?
5. "The Quiet American" was published in 1955. Could it have been written about Vietnam in 1965? 1975?
6. "The Quiet American" has been made into a movie. If you've seen the movie, how do you think it compares to Greene's book?