Book Club Kits
Death Be Not Proud: A Memoir
by Gunther, John
Print this page
Email this list
1. Are you familiar with the poem that title is from? What does the title of the book mean to you?
2. Gunther struggles with the purpose of Johnny's life, and with finding meaning in his death. Do you agree with the way he views these issues?
3. How has the treatment of cancer changed since the book was written? How would his life, and possible death, have been different?
4. "Death Be Not Proud" is often read by high school and college students. Did you read this book in school? How would reading it at that age be different than reading it later in life?
5. Did the letters and journals from Johnny at the end of the book change your view of him, and of his illness and death?
6. How did Johnny's death affect his family? Is the impact of the death of someone young the same as that of someone older?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides