Book Club Kits
by McGhee, Alison
Print this page
Email this list
1. In "Shadow Baby," Clara is twelve years old, telling the story of the past year of her life. How would this novel have been different if Clara had been looking back on that year as an adult?
2. What did you think of Clara's relationship with the old man?
3. Clara and Tamar have a complicated mother-daughter relationship. Do you think McGhee created a believable family?
4. What is the meaning of the title of the book? Who, or what, is the "Shadow Baby"?
5. Why does Clara write her fake book reports? Why do you think she burns them at the end of the novel?
6. Clara is fascinated with pioneer life. What makes this so interesting to her?
|Additional discussion questions from: