Book Club Kits
I Capture the Castle
by Smith, Dodie
Print this page
Email this list
1. What were your impressions of the Mortmain's home? Would you like to live in a place like that?
2. Cassandra compares her life to that of the Bennet Family in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." Do you think her comparison is accurate? Are there parallels to their stories?
3. "I Capture the Castle" was originally published in 1948. How do you think readers then approached the story? Do you think readers today respond to it differently?
4. "I Capture the Castle" is set in the early 20th century, when roles for women and distinctions between the social classes were changing. How does this novel reflect those changes?
5. The story is told through Cassandra's diary entries. Why do you think Smith chose to tell the story this way? Does it help you think of Cassandra as a writer, like her father?
6. If you've seen the film version of "I Capture the Castle," do you think it captures the essence of Smith's story? Were there differences?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides