home > bookspace > my comments > comment: artemis fowl : the time paradox /

The first book in the Artemis Fowl series, this YA novel follows the adventures of Artemis Fowl, a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind, as he kidnaps a fairy, Cpt. Holly Short (part of the fairy police) for a large ransom of gold. He needs the gold to replenish the family fortune (which was depleted by his criminal mastermind father). Frankly I found this book a disappointment—though I am usually a fan of fantasy. I found that the characters were not well written and I found that it was difficult to enjoy or care about any of them—particularly Artemis. He really had few redeeming characteristics. 1 star out of 5.
posted Jun 20, 2013 at 3:07PM
At first, I thought this book was the dreaded 'boy's book' and ignored for three long years. Then finally I picked it up and read it. Why on earth did I wait???? Artemis Fowl is amazing. Very clever, very intelligent, very witty. The world can try to ignore Artemis Fowl, but blast it, Artemis Fowl is too awesome to be ignored.
posted Jun 13, 2013 at 8:17PM
Pardon me, but to quote another book-list-maker on this site: "...but dang it, Artemis Fowl is too awesome to be ignored." I salute you.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:33PM
Too great not to be read!! 7 or 8 books in the series
posted Oct 19, 2012 at 9:30AM
I was a bit dubious, at first, thinking it a little young, but blast it, Artemis Fowl is too awesome to be ignored.
posted Oct 17, 2012 at 4:51PM
Twelve-year-old genius. Supertechnology fairy underground. Need i say more?
posted Aug 9, 2012 at 7:04PM
hamburgers and me said:
This is a great book. Artemis’s father was in a plane filled with 250,000 bottles of when it blew up it was quite expensive and now the Fowl family are not in the billionare status. So Artemis hatches a scheme to kidnap and hold for ransom a fairy. He gets his hands on a copy of the People’s holy bible, the Book. It states that to renew his or her magic a fairy must take an acorn from an anchient oak by a bend in a river and replant it somewhere else. Artemis stakes out an oak and kidnaps Holly Short LEPrecon officer. He is willing to trade her for a ton of unmarked 24 carat gold bars. This is an epic start to a so far 7 book series.
posted Jul 5, 2012 at 1:31PM
Emily said:
Colfer makes this story completely his own! Artemis Fowl's unique idea of a kid genius hunting rogue fairies was one-hundred percent satisfying. This book was gripping from beginning to end -- a real page turner! Readers will be entertained by Artemis's uncanny genius and left wanting more. Artemis gets an A .
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28PM
Emily said:
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28PM
Brenden said:
This has been one of the better books I have read this summer. It is about a boy criminal mastermind that steals gold from fairies. He also tricks an elder fairy to give their secret book of ways for making her young again. He starts botherign the fairies but then the fairies stop playing by the rules. Its filled with adventure.
posted Jul 10, 2010 at 6:46PM
Brenden said:
posted Jul 10, 2010 at 6:46PM
fantasy_freak said:
least favorite of the series, but many people like it so its worth a read.
posted Jul 11, 2009 at 1:02AM
fantasy_freak said:
one of my favorite series.
posted Jul 11, 2009 at 1:02AM
fantasy_freak said:
this book is a bit slow at the beginning, but it is totally amazing by the end. i fell in love with the series and reread the books all the time even now, four years after i started reading them
posted Apr 27, 2009 at 3:45PM
fantasy_freak said:
I was actually disappointed with this book. All the other artemis fowl books have been so incredibly amazing that this one was not near up to par. I have been reading the series since sixth grade, and now being in tenth, have grown to love them. This one though, it was almost like a completely different series, it was so strange and different from the other books. In another series, i would have said it was amazing, top notch. But in this series...I’m sorry to burst people’s bubbles, but it was not that good.
posted Apr 27, 2009 at 3:40PM
This is really a good book. I loved it. There are several sequels.
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 10:37PM
kiki93 said:
this was one of the best artemis fowls yet! i would toatally reccomend it!
posted Dec 6, 2008 at 1:46PM
Story about a genius 10 year old boy (Artemis Fowl), faries he encounters, and the story that unfolds, complete with advanced technologies and weapons. There is a lot of action, and will be sure to pull you in. The five subsequent books continue to tell the story of Artemis and his new found friends and enemies.
posted Oct 2, 2008 at 9:02PM
I haven't read the graphic novel version, but it is pretty much like the regular books, just with drawings/pictures.
posted Oct 2, 2008 at 9:00PM
Soniya said:
It was so - undescribable! It had so much to figure out, mysterious parts, all coming to the tense ending. It was a bit complicated, all the more making it a good one to re-read. I can't wait to read the second one!
posted Aug 20, 2008 at 7:03PM
Beth said:
I really, really love this book. I have loved this series and this book is the greatest of them all. It is full of surprises. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. If I could rate it 1 to 10, it would be 9,999,999,999. IT IS THAT GOOD!
posted Aug 17, 2008 at 8:26PM
Beth said:
posted Aug 17, 2008 at 8:26PM
Quentin said:
I thought this book was good but it lacked the zip and excitement of the other Artemis Fowl Books such and the koboi deception and the eternity code. What happens in the book is Artemis's mother is sick and the only cure is in the past, and his past self is also looking for the cure
posted Aug 15, 2008 at 1:37PM
Quentin said:
posted Aug 15, 2008 at 1:37PM
Beth said:
I really love this book. My friend recommended it to me and she loved it too. I have read the other books in the series and I love them too. The new book is coming out and I am going to buy it. Artemis Fowl is a good character and he becomes less self-centered as the books go on. I would recommend it to everyone.
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 8:58PM
Beth said:
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 8:58PM
Sarah said:
Artemis fowl is my favorite book. It is filled with action and is a fantasy book. It is about a criminal mastermind who discovers a different species ...fairy's. Read it and join artemis fowl in his exiting search for gold.
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 10:58AM
Sarah said:
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 10:58AM
Daniel said:
Its a great adventure and fantasy book that will interest kids of any age. You will have to take sides when you are shown the fairy Holly and the 12-year-old criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl, both great characters with well, intersting personalities. Read this book! It's such a page turner I read it in two days!
posted May 1, 2007 at 5:51PM
Daniel said:
posted May 1, 2007 at 5:51PM
Lara said:
This series is excellent. This book is about a greedy teenager genius, fairies, and a huge body protector named Butler. Artemis is a genius boy, and very exciting for anyone who understands hard physics.
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:55PM
Lara said:
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:55PM
Jigar said:
I thought it was fantastic! It had magic, leprecons, goblins, and an extremely intelligent boy. It makes me wish I was like Artemis.
posted Oct 9, 2006 at 3:50PM
Mitch said:
Artemis Fowl is a book about a young rich boy who has many battles with mithological animals.He lives in Ireland but has no acsent.I liked it because they show many of the same events from diferent charectors point of view. I think it is a very good book.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Kayla said:
I thought this book was a fun book to read, it got me reading all three of the series! ( Artemis Fowl, Artemis Fowl 2 The Arctic Incident, Artemis Fowl 3 The Eternity Code ) If you like escaping into a new part of the world, read the Artemis Fowl Series!
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Elle said:
I like this book because there is Fantasy creatures like faries,Sprites,And Leprachauns
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Danielle said:
This story was really good. It was suspenseful and (true, really make-believe), but it was described so well, I really felt like I was in the book.
posted Jul 6, 2005 at 1:53PM
Claire said:
I like this book a lot, it has adventure, magic and suspence. The charactors are very interesting as well. [Series: Artemis Fowl #1]
posted Nov 8, 2004 at 11:38AM
Andrew said:
This is great!! It's one of the best books I've ever read! Read it . you'll make me happy.
posted Sep 29, 2004 at 1:20PM
britta said:
I think this book was awesome I loved the book because it has so much action,and magic. 11 year old Artemius Fowl, criminal genuis is rich,cruel,and smart.He finds the world of magic, but will Fowl be outsmarted? Anyone who likes harry potter must read this book. [Series: Artemis Fowl]
posted Jun 4, 2004 at 11:18AM
Chanho said:
This is a book for people who like adventure and magic. The book starts out with this boy who is very rich and is trying to get more! I liked this book because it was adventerous and cause it has magic.[I like magic.]
Bethany said:
I think this book was extremely well written. I generally enjoy books with fantasy creatures, and the Lower Elements creatures were fun to read about, especially since they're living during the present time. I think the second Fowl book is still as well written, but not as enjoyable as the first. The third book was, by far, my favorite, as the plot was complitcated and entertaining, and the suspence riviting.