home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the help /
The help
Kathryn Stockett
Adult Fiction STOCKET

Molly Johanson said:
This books is really, really good. I am 12 and really liked it, so I think you will like it. You could really relate to what was happening in the book even thought it was based on a time that was long ago.
posted Jul 13, 2013 at 1:19PM
The Help is about a young white woman in the early 1960s in Mississippi who becomes interested in the plight of the black ladies' maids that every family has working for them. She writes their stories about mistreatment, abuse and heartbreaks of working in white families' homes, all just before the Civil Rights revolution. Each chapter is narrated by the three principal characters...Minny and Aibileen, two black maids, and Miss Skeeter, a young, white woman newly graduated from college. Though the book deals with race and the South, I think the book was more about each of the main characters finding their own voice. Engaging and enjoyable--3 1/2 out of 5 stars.
posted Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25AM
Westonka Winter Jackets Recommends said:
Better than the movie. Great story.
posted Feb 13, 2012 at 6:46PM
Avatar for scorpionbeauty2000 scorpionbeauty2000 said:
One of the most amazing novels I have read in the recent past. Touches a cord deep in your heart. Beautifully written for a debut novel.
posted Feb 13, 2012 at 5:08AM
momoreadz! said:
great book! i cant wait for the movie to come out! hopefully the director stuck to this well written novel!
posted Aug 7, 2011 at 9:10AM
Wow. So much better than I anticiapted! A must read!
posted Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56AM
BennyH said:
The best book I read in 2010! I will never forget it. I hope Kathryn Stockett is hard at work on her next novel.
posted Apr 10, 2011 at 9:27PM
Nidus said:
Highly recommended. Best book I read since Dragon Tattoo a year ago. Hope the movie isn’t disappointing.
posted Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22AM
sisterearth said:
Too true to be fiction. This book has elicited a wide range of emotions. I cried, I laughed, I felt pain, and even anger. It touches on all the right points. The characters are rich, warm, and heart touching. This is the best book that I’ve read in years.,although I downloaded the audio. This is one book, that I did not want to end. I thank you, Ms Stockett for your throughness, your thoughtfulness, and I can’t wait for your second book. Absoulutely superb!
posted Jan 17, 2011 at 8:07PM
bekeli said:
Wonderful book. I am old enough and from the south and remember this time. It is pretty accurate unfortunately. A wonderful read.
posted Sep 13, 2010 at 12:34AM
Ted's Review said:
Excellent, excellent book! I saved this for vacation, but the 450 or so pages didn’t last as long as I would have liked. This is an exceptionally well written book and sheds light on a topic in a time that wasn’t all that long ago. Although we have a ways to go in race relations, this book shows how far we’ve come. This is also true for gender equality. Not only is this a very powerful book -- it’s a fun read. I highly and enthusiastically recommend it!
posted Aug 26, 2010 at 7:17AM
thenYES said:
Brilliant book! I also couldn’t put it down - I finished it in two days. It’s heartbreaking and funny and sweet and sad and everything in between. The ending left me feeling satisfied and hopeful. Definitely, definitely recommend it.
posted Jul 6, 2010 at 3:12AM
Amazing book - couldn’t put it down! A must read for all novel lovers!
posted Feb 23, 2010 at 8:34AM
Highly recommended. Wonderful voice. New York Times best-seller.
posted Sep 27, 2009 at 6:12PM