home > bookspace > my comments > comment: a game of thrones /
A game of thrones
George R. R. Martin
Adult Fiction MARTIN

I read this after watching the HBO series and thoroughly enjoyed the first of seven. Outstanding writing. Onto the Clash of Kings. 10 of 10 stars
posted Jan 24, 2014 at 6:07PM
long lake library staff said:
Martin is a master of medieval fiction. While the Seven Nations are fictional, Martin created their history and bloodlines and legends and everything that makes history... well, history. So it really takes you in. Also his characters, both heroes and villians, are all flawed. So be prepared to sometimes root for a few of the bad guys and for the so-called good guys to do some pretty bad stuff at times. And whatever you do, don't read the Wikipedia article on this book. It will spoil the rest of the book and make it that much harder to finish. That's what I did. If I hadn't, I am sure I would have finished it by now, as I couldn't put it down before.
posted May 6, 2013 at 7:31PM
I enjoyed this book but only because I saw the first season of the tv show first. The writing is very slow. The characters are amazingly well developed, and I was very pleased at how closely the show mirrored the language and actions in the book. Will definitely be picking up the rest of this series as soon as I can force myself to finish the Hunger Games travesty.
posted Jun 30, 2012 at 11:03PM
I had not read fantasy for more than 10-15 years but decided to try this on my son’s recommendation. Very good book. It’s still early in the series to make many judgements about the whole thing. I’ve heard some interesting things about how the characters and the story develops over the (so far) five volumes. However, this volume was very good. Unlike a lot of fantasy there’s not much magic (yet) but a few things are hinted at for the future (undead, dragons). The only thing that could be better is the female characters.
posted Jun 18, 2012 at 12:39PM
Very good fantasy! I think that this series greatly influenced Jacqueline Carey’s great
posted Aug 19, 2011 at 10:32AM
gtfernandezm said:
A really great book. I can’t wait until the HBO series starts. Perhaps Martin isn’t a master of fantahistorical political intrigue, I don’t know; this is the first book of the kind I have read. But what I loved is that I cared about almost all of the characters. The one major flaw is that his ’good guys’ are far more nuanced than his ’bad guys’. I read an interview quote from Martin where he claimed there were no black-as-night villains in the books, but that is just not true. At least in this book people like Cercei Lannister, and Viseris Targaryen are simply not sympathetic characters at all. And all the sympathetic characters are very very flawed. He can’t stomach a purely good person, but apparently thinks giving a villain strong and obvious motivations is the same as making them accessible and understandable. Perhaps in the later books, as I see more of Cercei my opinion will change
posted Jan 18, 2011 at 3:35PM
SolStar23 said:
This book sat on my shelf for at least a year before I started reading it. I quickly began kicking myself, wondering how on earth I could have ignored such a gritty and engaging story for so long. This book has an enormous cast of characters that give life to a rich and fascinating world, reminiscent of medieval Europe.
posted Aug 7, 2010 at 9:37PM