home > bookspace > my comments > comment: a child called "it" : one child's courage to survive /
A child called "it" : one child's courage to survive
David J. Pelzer
Adult Nonfiction HV883.C2 P45 1995

Avatar for Brookdale Library Staff Brookdale Library Staff said:
This teaches a good lesson to school aged kids on: people are not always as they appear to be. Give everyone a chance to become your friend. They may need one. Do not judge on appearances. Denise
posted Feb 6, 2013 at 9:14AM
Westonka Winter Jackets Recommends said:
Heartbreaking story of extreme child abuse. A real "page turner."
posted Feb 13, 2012 at 6:41PM
mnlcgirl said:
I strongly recommend this book to anyone who likes Dave Pelzer. And what’s sad is that it is a true story.
posted Oct 14, 2010 at 11:03AM
Lissette said:
Pelzer really knows how to make the readers read on! He tells his real life story and how he suffers and puts up with it, for example being put to work at home non stop and not being fed by his mom who is the main person who humillates him. In addition, Towards the end, the book offers help for those who suffer violence at home and outside of home. Pelzer leaves us with this thought of what happens next in his next series of books.
posted Aug 1, 2010 at 10:42PM
sfinn.13 said:
This book was a sad story of how a boy got abused by his alcoholic mother, and was forced to play the wicked games she thought of. This was my absolute favorite and recommend it to teens. Its worth reading and learning about how relationships can split apart by someone abusing a family member.
posted Mar 29, 2009 at 8:09PM
I think this book was very inspiring. It inspires not only book worms but people who are related to abusive relationships with there family. Not only does this book inspire people it also shows an example of how abusive relationships are and how people should stop thinking about what they want and start thinking about what they need. SO if you are looking for a book that is worth more than reading I suggest you read "A Child Called It".
posted Jan 19, 2009 at 10:17PM
Miguel said:
posted Jan 19, 2009 at 10:17PM
Arianna said:
I thought this book was really good. To think he went through all that is amasing. You really can't desribe the emotion you feel when you read this book. It's deep.
posted Sep 29, 2008 at 6:37PM
Arianna said:
posted Sep 29, 2008 at 6:37PM
Sami1401 said:
This Book Is Very Heart Touching. It’s Hard Not To Cry. It’s Very Sad How His Mother Abuses Him. But This Is a Very Good Book To Read Because The Boy *David* Is Trying To Survive With His Mother Abousing Him. I Think That This Book Should Have Kids 12 And Older To Read This Book.:)
posted Aug 7, 2008 at 2:30PM
gigi cheesecake said:
this book was so sad because it is horrible to think that’s what some mother’s treat there children like object they can hurt and torture to the point thy don’t even see them selves a humans but a slaves of evil. This book was so sad i cried thought the whole book because of the way the mom treated her son.
posted Jul 10, 2008 at 8:58PM
Heba said:
I just finished reading this book,is was too sad, but also very good! It's about a mother treating her child, well like an "it." Actually I cried on a lot of parts in this book, because how much this young boy gets abused by his mom! If you're looking for something sad to read, this would have to be "it," I mean the one!!!
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 11:04PM
Heba said:
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 11:04PM
erica said:
i thought this book was very sad because the child is so young to be abuse my his mom . i think that is a really good book to read because it about a child so little trying to surive a life with his mad mom. He try so hard to live it to her but it always not enough . So when this lady who comes to check the mom always act nice to him and when the lady ask him so how's your life or something like that dave would always say good. So one day Dave's mom told me to lay on the stove and she turn the fire on and made him stay on it. So she had a baby and the mom was changing the diaper and there was poop on it and she call dave in and she took the poop and wipe it on dave face . She did alot of cruel thing to him . She once took a knife and stab him with it .
posted Jun 14, 2008 at 8:20PM
erica said:
posted Jun 14, 2008 at 8:20PM
emo_cookie-dough said:
This is a really sad book to read. It makes you want to through the book acrosse the room because it's so sad. I can't belive that Dave pelzer had to go through this with his mother. Anyways this is a really sad book but so good.:]
posted Jun 12, 2008 at 2:00PM
Sad and depressing, my kind of book
posted May 4, 2008 at 9:11PM
readhard116 said:
sooooo sad but soo good
posted Jan 20, 2008 at 10:23AM
stepahnie said:
a child called it was a sad book for me because my mother always showed my love and to see that david pelzers mother showed him everything but love it just burns my heart. i recomend that u read this book and if u do, it might be a good idea to have a box of tissue next to u.
posted Dec 10, 2007 at 6:45PM
Heba said:
This was the fastest time I ever finished reading a book. It was so good I could not put it down! It had everything excitement, action, it almost made me cry! I felt so sorry for the boy in the story, he ate bit scraps, he did everything to make himself survive! I do not want to spoil it! Read it, you will love it!
posted Aug 12, 2007 at 10:35PM
Heba said:
posted Aug 12, 2007 at 10:35PM
Lisa said:
This book is one of the best book I read so far this year. I couldn't stop reading because of the minutes of life that Dave was going through against his abuser and drunk mother (whom makes up games to tortured him). It's just an amazing book about this little kid that survive day after days from his "monster" mother, to tell his story!!
posted Aug 7, 2007 at 2:06PM
Lisa said:
posted Aug 7, 2007 at 2:06PM
stephanie said:
i thought thi book was amazing. i just couldn't put the book down. i really enjoyed it. i cried most of the time. but i cried because i was austonished by what the author had to say about his terrible child hood. i really admire him. so i thought this book was one of the best books i've ever read, for the author speaking the truth. it actually was [for me.]the book of the year.
posted Jun 13, 2007 at 6:41PM
stephanie said:
posted Jun 13, 2007 at 6:41PM
yone said:
this book is really sad and it made me cry.
posted Mar 21, 2007 at 2:01PM
jenny said:
I really loved the book. It really grabed my attention. Heres why. It is a non-fiction book about a young boys stugle to stay alive.His mother abuses him. The man that wrote the story is the child that was abused. This book tells you about the horror that this man went trough and his struggle for servivle. It is a great book but very very sad. it is very hard not to cry during it but i read it in one day and im not a very avid reader.so i highly recomend it. I loved it and i think you will to!!!
posted Mar 13, 2007 at 4:43PM
Jenny said:
I really loved the book. It really grabed my attention. Heres why. It is a non-fiction book about a young boys stugle to stay alive.His mother abuses him. The man that wrote the story is the hcild that was abused. This book tells you about the horror that this man went trough and his struggle for servivle. It is a great book but very very sad. it is very hard not to cry during it but i read it in one day and im not a very avid reader.so i highly recomend it. I loved it and i think you will to!!!
posted Mar 13, 2007 at 4:31PM
Pixy*Girl said:
When I read this book at parts I almost cryed but at other parts I almost threw up It is the saddest book I’ve ever read I couldn’t put it down It is the best book I’ve ever read
posted Jan 23, 2007 at 4:46PM
Lili241 said:
I read this book and cryed especialy the part his mom stopped treating him bad cause i was happy but it was just to save herself.If you this you have to remeber he grew up to be a good man.
posted Jan 7, 2007 at 7:15PM
mYmY_l0V3 said:
i read this book and was constantly crying!! this book can realy get to a person. I find it so ditsurbing how his mother treated him....you will love this story if you have enough patience to wait in the long waiting line for this book...
posted Dec 14, 2006 at 12:54PM
Dolphinlover said:
This is a book to remember. When I first read it I started crying. I tried to put my self in Dave's spot but it was hard. This book really does touch me and everyone else that i know who have read it. So this is a really good, life touching story I think everyone should read.
posted Dec 9, 2006 at 12:39AM
star said:
I read this book almost 2years ago,and I still can remember it. I was reading it and couldn’t put it down. You need to read this! It is sad and amazing how the author (Dave) could write about this. Imagine how sad it was to read, think how hard it would beto write it,or yet if it actually happened to you, makes you really appreciate life alot more.
posted Nov 12, 2006 at 3:26PM
read4life said:
It was well written, but so so so sad. So sad, it almost made me put the book down. I thought I would cry! I really thought he was going to die or something. It was a very scary and real book.
posted Nov 10, 2006 at 8:49AM
Natalie said:
It was good, but very sad.It was about a boy named david who was abused by his mother and treated like an out cast of the family.Eventualy, the school nurse relizes that a kid can't come to school every day with new bruises, and has social services take him away from his horrid home.
posted Jul 22, 2006 at 11:57AM
Natalie said:
posted Jul 22, 2006 at 11:57AM
Maria said:
This book gave me lot's of emotion. It's about the author when he was a young boy and his mom turn on him one day. Every since then his mom beated up very harshly. But SOME how he got out of the mess with some help!
posted Jul 13, 2006 at 2:51PM
Maria said:
posted Jul 13, 2006 at 2:51PM
Kasandra said:
This book is the best book ever. I loved it. I didn’t know people can be soooo cruel to do things like this. It’s very sad. When I read it I didn’t want to stop it makes you want to keeping reading it! I even bought it!
posted Jul 6, 2006 at 12:29PM
huh said:
This book is touching,and really opens your to what happens around us in this world.. I didnt know anyone could be so evil , how could u do something like the events that happen in this book to your child? It really makes me feel lucky that i have such a nice life.
posted Jun 14, 2006 at 5:48PM
Hailie said:
I think A Child Called It is a great book because it tought me a lesson.The lesson was that I should be lucky because the kid gets abused by his mother.His parents get in fights alot.That is what I thought about A Child Called It.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Amy said:
It was a very good book. About a boy who's mother abused him and starved him and did other terrible things that nobody but her would ever think of. It is really terribly sad but I loved it just the same. [see booklist A Child Called "It"]
posted Jul 17, 2005
Jennifer said:
This book was the best book i have ever read!!!! It has so much emotion and detail to it If you cry when somthing bad/sad happens you might have trouble with it. This book is a true story about the author himself and how he got abused by his mother. Well i cant tell you much more because it will give the book away!!!!! Again, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE!!!! [see booklist A Child Called "It"]
posted Mar 18, 2005
Erin said:
This book was really sad. It's really hard to believe what his mother did to him. I hope his mom read this book and relized how horible she was.
posted Feb 28, 2005
Julia said:
This was a good book. It is sad that the mother likes the other children but not David. This book was written very well.
posted Feb 14, 2005
Kesley said:
I loved this book i couldn't put it down and it was sad! His mom is so so so so so mean !! but overall 1-10 10 the highest i give it a 10!! [click for more books like this one]
posted Jan 26, 2005
Jennifer said:
I thought it was really sad but really good!!! [Sequel: The Lost Boy] [see booklist A Child Called "It"]
posted Jan 17, 2005
Tori said:
This is a sad book about a child called David. He used to think his mother was the best thing in the world. Until she started abusing him. I think this book shows kids what its like being abused this is a sad book and i recommend it to kids ages 12
posted Oct 4, 2004
Jenny said:
this was the saddest book i ever read, i mean, the sad part was that the book was about how his mother abused him, but even sadder is that children can relate to that today. after i read this book i really understood what abusing was, i used to think that it was just hitting, but this.......... this is way past that!
posted Jun 5, 2004
Amber said:
Its a really great book about this young boy who gets abused by his mother. Its a true story and I think many people should read it!
posted Apr 17, 2004
Alyssa said:
This sad book is a true story based on Dave Pelzer's childhood. A young child's will to live is very inspiring but distressing that someone could do that to a child. I reccommend it but for people who can handle the pain a child went through.
Anne said:
This book is a really sad story about Dave Pelzer (the author). It's his life story. He was abused in ways most people could never imagin. He had expirianced the worst child abuse case reported in California history! You will be sad when you read this book but I hope you will learn to appreciate kids that come to school with torn clothes and bruises, and i hope you don't make fun of them because they could be expiriancing stuff you couldn't imagin.
Courtney said:
Very, very tough subject to conquer: child abuse. Mr. Pelzer goes into great detail on his experiences. I was disgusted with all he had to go through, however, it's amazing how far he's come.
Gabrielle said:
This book made me cry beacuse it is a story about a boy who was abused by his mother. It made me think about how I would raise my child when I am older. I will never,ever do anything harmful to my child.And I will love him with all my heart.
Jenny said:
Denfenitly a life touching story!!
Kelly said:
weel i thought that the book was sad in many ways but good in other ways. i think teens should read this book becauseit's shows you what can happen to kids your age and hoew you can get help.
Kelly said:
the book was sad but good. it also taught you self love and how to servive through the good times and the bad times.
Kim said:
I like this book because it was true and you got to go along with David in the book to see what he was going through. I found it kindof hard to read in spots because of all the horrific things his mother did to him. It was very good but sad.
Marie said:
This book was really good. It is first book in the sequel to "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Named Dave". This book was really sad and shows how a little boy lived with his abusive mother and alcoholic father. Read this book to find out whether he gets away or still has to live with his abusive family.
Tiffany said:
this book is based on the aurthurs life when he was younger its sad how he was abused by his mom kids in school didn't like him how his dad moved from him you just read it .