home > bookspace > my comments > comment: sabriel /
Sabriel
Garth Nix
Teen Fiction NIX

Sabriel is a wonderful fantasy geared to, but not limited to, a teenage audience. It revolves around a young woman named Sabriel who is the daughter to the most famous of Necromancers, the Abhorsen. But, he seems to have gone missing and sent a warning to Sabriel through the gates of death to warn her, but little else. Sabriel decides to leave her schooling and head over to the Old Kingdom, a place of of dangerous and rogue necromancy. Along the way she finds pieces of her father’s life as a binder of the dead and encounters all manner of strange beings, some benevolent and others quite intent on her destruction. A great read about one determined girl with lots of courage in a dark and dangerous world.
posted Apr 11, 2012 at 9:55PM
Favorite Garth Nix series EVER. Personally, my favorite character is the Disreputable Dog. Love her.
posted Sep 18, 2011 at 7:55PM
Paulus25 said:
I love "sabriel" and i like Garth Nix, he is very good writter.
posted Feb 8, 2010 at 11:59AM
Adri said:
This book was amazing. It features the dealings with life and death, the bells of a necromancer...
posted Aug 13, 2009 at 5:19PM
awaken.the.dawn said:
definitely one of, if not the, best books ever written. Nix is an excellent writer. nearly everyone I know who read this book loved it. suspense/romance/fantasy
posted Mar 31, 2009 at 3:33PM
Tanya said:
oh this is totally one of the best books ever along with its sequel, Lireal, but Abhoresen was an absolute bore!This has a little of everything and its totally awsome.
posted Jan 8, 2007 at 4:02PM
Haley said:
I generally don't like fantasy, but my friend recommended it and I really enjoyed it. It is about Sabriel who is on a mission to save her father, trapped in death. I thought it was all pretty clever and I liked Nix's style of writing.
posted Jun 23, 2006 at 8:38AM
Haley said:
posted Jun 23, 2006 at 8:38AM
keelin said:
it was good i really like adventure and stuff like that it is a little hard to understand at first you just cant stop reading it once you get into it [Sequel: Lirael]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Elizabeth said:
I thought it was very interesting, because Sabriel is a lot stronger than she thinks she is in the beginning. She finds out that she can help protect people who don't know as much magic and are unaware of the dangers of the Old Kingdom. [Sequel: Lirael]
posted Jul 2, 2005
Clare said:
I loved this book because it combined elements from 2 of my favorite books, Harry Potter and LOTR. If you like these books, you'll definetly like Sabriel. And guys? Just because Sabriel is a girl, it's no reason you shouldn't read it. Besides, she's totally a tomboy!
posted Feb 17, 2005
Emily said:
The book 'Sabriel' is a must-read for all people interested in the fantasy genre. Nix has created an ingenious plot full of magic and adventure to make this novel enthralling. Once you are finished with this novel, quickly move onto the two sequels, which are, in sequential order, 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen,' for those two are equally as excellent as 'Sabriel.'
posted Nov 19, 2004
Alena said:
Sabriel is almost a normal girl in a place called Ancelstierre that is much like our world today. But her father lives in the Old Kingdom, a place of mystery, magic and secrets, and when he disappears she takes it onto herself to go to a place she hasn't been in years and barely remembers to rescue him. If you like Harry Potter, Prophecy of the Stones, or Eragon, this book is much better. I guarantee it.
posted Oct 3, 2004
Caitlin said:
This book was a great fantasy adventure. It was vivid and full of detail, which made it reminiscent of Harry Potter (except for older teens). So full of plot twist and imagination, it was hard to put this book down.
Emily said:
I thought Sabriel was a great book. It is just what a book should be; it has a little bit of everything. I couldn't put it down. I hope you will love it too. (I also loved the sequel Lirael, and can't wait for Abhorsen to come out.)
Keelin said:
Sathiya said:
This book could be called the Harry Potter for older kids. I liked it, because of all the action. I would reccomend this book to other teens.
Y said:
Great book for fantasy & adventure lovers. It was a page-turner for me. You kinda have to "expand" your mind a little at the beginning since the book is set in a very different world. entertaining & fun