home > bookspace > my comments > comment: ella enchanted /
Ella enchanted
Gail Carson Levine
Children's Fiction LEVINE

Comments  Summary  Reviews

A twist on Cinderella. Ella is so funny, the romance is so perfectly played, and this is just an overall great book. I highly recommend.
posted Jan 22, 2014 at 4:27PM
Avatar for Brookdale Library Staff Brookdale Library Staff said:
Grade 5 and up. An empowering twist on the traditional Cinderella story. Young Ella was given the "gift" of obedience at her birth by a well-meaning and ignorant fairy. Ella soon realizes that this gift is more of a curse, and she must save herself if she wants to live a fairy-tale life.
posted Jul 29, 2013 at 1:45PM
When Ella is cursed with obedience, she takes life into her own hands on a great adventure. Every time I find this book on a shelf at school, I reread it.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 3:58PM
I reread this story every time i find it on a school bookshelf. That’s a good thing, because i dont know how much i’d read it if i owned the book! ;p
posted Aug 26, 2012 at 9:46AM
carolynlovestoread27 said:
This is a book every girl must read!
posted Jul 23, 2012 at 8:11PM
Kati said:
In this entertaining twist on Cinderella, A girl named Ella lives in the magical land of Kyrria. At birth,the fairy idiot Lucinda casts a spell; a spell that will lead Ella to go on an amazing journey, one that could lead her to her true love and so much more.
posted Jan 12, 2012 at 8:26PM
Kati said:
posted Jan 12, 2012 at 8:26PM
I read this book first when I was young, and recently I read it again. I can see why it is so popular. Not only it is a fun, fairtale book, but it’s realistic and comedic. I would highly recommend it.
posted Nov 27, 2011 at 9:01PM
Grace,Grace said:
Ella is very nice but Hattie and her sister Olive are really mean. Olive follows Hattie so she can have the same things. Ella got cursed so she has to do what someone tells her to do. This story is kind of like Cinderella.
posted Jun 25, 2011 at 1:44PM
probablynarnia said:
A good, satisfying retelling of Cinderella that doesn't feel like a retelling.
posted Jan 23, 2011 at 6:02PM
probablynarnia said:
A good, satisfying retelling of Cinderella that doesn't feel like a retelling.
posted Jul 11, 2010 at 11:43PM
funnywuzzy13 said:
I love reading, and I am a very advanced reader. I am 16 years old and have read all kinds of books. None, however, can trump Ella Enchanted. My mom bought me this book when I was eight, and I fell completely in love with it. So for the past eight years, it has been my solace in tough times. When I’m particularly upset, going through a stupid high school breakup, dealing with normal teenage troubles, I always pick up this book and instantly feel better. I honestly think I’ve read this book about 100 times by now. Seriously though, I’m going to have to buy a new copy soon.
posted Sep 4, 2009 at 3:02AM
I really, really liked this book. I can't tell you how many times I read it.
posted Mar 29, 2009 at 2:50PM
madelaine said:
This is a very creative retelling of Cinderella. Read it A.S.A.P.!!! There is a movie of this as well, but it's not NEARLY as good as the book.
posted Mar 14, 2009 at 2:38PM
fantasybooks said:
timeless
posted Jan 14, 2009 at 11:40PM
charms09200 said:
Also on my list of top ten books. In my opinion a book that looks brand new means that book can't have been good if you don't want to open it. My Ella Enchanted copy has no back or front and is missing the first 6 pages. Yes, it's that good. I would suggest it for ages 11 and up. I am 17 and still love this book. I'm also a hopeless romantic, and this book feeds that addiction
posted Nov 28, 2008 at 11:22PM
charms09200 said:
This is seriously one of my all time favorite books. Ella is so likable and it is easy to empathise with her. In my opinion, a good book is one that looks used and old, worn out like. Well, my copy of Ella Enchanted is missing the first six pages and the cover and the back I’ve read it so much
posted Nov 28, 2008 at 6:47PM
A great story! I loved the rendition of Cinderella. I was irritated when she refused the title "Queen"!!
posted Sep 30, 2008 at 9:03PM
tori_odhiambo said:
Good book. I’ve watched the movie and it’s absolutely astounding. It takes place during the midevil times.
posted Aug 26, 2008 at 8:51AM
Have to argee with Aeryn, said movie was terrible but the book is very well written. I love the way that Levine wrote this book, the wording and plot structure was very well done, perfect for the age group that it was made for, however any age group would probably enjoy this book. Again though, don’t get discouraged by the movie. If you didn’t like it, it doesn’t mean that you won’t like the book.
posted Aug 18, 2008 at 9:21AM
may-may said:
yes i have to agree this was one of my favorite books!! mrs.levine is one of my favorite authors, i also disagree extreemly with wendle THIS IS A MUST READ BOOK!!!
posted Jun 25, 2008 at 4:29PM
Today I met Gail Carson Levine herself!!!! she was invited to talk to my grade and I actually met her!!!
posted May 12, 2008 at 5:46PM
Dell said:
Ella has been given the gift of obedience. But now she has to obey EVERYBODY no matter what they say--even if it means killing herself! Ella has to break the curse . . . but how?
posted Mar 17, 2008 at 10:48AM
gIrLgOeSsHoPpInG said:
One of my favorite books. I've reread this book countless times. The movie based on this book with Anne Hathaway is really good also.
posted Jan 27, 2008 at 12:17PM
Aeryn said:
Though the "children's fiction" label may throw some readers off, this book is very creative and well-written, enjoyable to any age group. Though Ella Enchanted was made into a movie, said movie was unrelentingly terrible.
posted Jul 3, 2007 at 10:39AM
Wendell said:
This in my opinion is the worst book ever. I could not get into the story the carachters the setting or plot. it might be a girly book but I hate it!
posted Mar 12, 2007 at 6:07PM
Wendell said:
posted Mar 12, 2007 at 6:07PM
Inshehar K. said:
This was an amazing book! Ella was given the gift of obedience by her Godmother. Now anything she asked to do, she does it. Just like that! I would recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a book full of humor, adventure, love and spirit!
posted Feb 22, 2007 at 12:55AM
Ruth said:
This is a revised edition of Cinderella; what happens before the story! It's really good when you figure everything out, you're like "oh ya, THATS why that happened!" you should read it!
posted Aug 15, 2006 at 11:44AM
Ruth said:
posted Aug 15, 2006 at 11:44AM
Regina said:
I liked it. My favorite part was when Ella really wanted to see Lucinda and she saw her at her at a wedding.
posted Jul 30, 2006 at 4:00PM
Regina said:
posted Jul 30, 2006 at 4:00PM
Katelyn said:
This is one of my favorite books, I've read it at least 20 times. This book is a Cinderella tale, but its totally its own story. Its about a girl named Ella, when she was born a fairy put a spell on her so that when ever someone commands her to do something, she has to obey it. Ella had two 'evil' stepsisters that figured out the curse & enjoyed ordering her around. This book is very exciting.
posted Jun 15, 2006 at 2:32PM
Katelyn said:
posted Jun 15, 2006 at 2:32PM
Elizabeth said:
I think this book is very good! it is about a girl Ella who is curse. She has a obedient spell on her. Ella tries to break the spell but Lucinda the fairy who put the spell on Ella and she won't reverse it. This book is a adventure book that happens in Frell. There are only 2 people who knows about the curse Mandy the maid and friend, Luucinda, and her mother. But her mother died and her father doesn't know about the curse. He gets married with a horrible women who has 2 horrible daughters who finds out she does what you command her to do. So they tell her what to do all the time.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Jennifer said:
This is the best book ever.. It's about Cinderella.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Kayla said:
I think this book is very sweet and nice.It is very magical.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Whitney said:
I thought this book was great! It's perfect for tweens ages 10-12!!So try reading this book!!
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
sami said:
This is my favorite book ever u will love it! everything is so discriptive and u feel like your there. Once u read it u will want to read it again againn and again you'll never git tired of it.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Katelyn said:
This has been my favorite book ever since I can remember. I love the little twists the author puts into it, and how it resembles some of the fairy tales. Ella was enchanted with a curse from a fairy when she was born. She was made to be obedient, so she has to obey all of the commands she is given. If someone tells her to chop off her own head, she'd have to do it. That's why when she falls in love with the Prince she cannot marry him. There would be too much danger. When her evil stepsisters and stepmother discover her curse they make her their slave. If she could just find that fairy who had made the curse in the first place, and if Ella could convince her to take it away, all would be right. This book was sooo different from the movie, and much, much better.
posted Oct 23, 2005
Samantha said:
This book was absolutly WONDERFUL!!!! It was an amazing mixture of adventure, romance, fantasy, humor and more! It was about a girl who has a curse that makes her obey everything she is ordered to do. Gail Carson Levine is a great author. This book is now my all-time favorite book! 10 stars!!!
posted Jul 11, 2005 at 4:47PM
Ashley said:
This book is fabulous. I love it. I have read it many times, and every time it is better than the last. I recommend this book to children and adults of all ages.
posted Jul 3, 2005 at 3:43PM
Eva said:
This book is suspencful and always gets you to want to know what happens next. I enjoyed this book very much and I hope you will as much as I do.
posted Nov 8, 2004 at 6:54PM
Nicole said:
It was a really good book!!! It's a fairy tale about a girl who get's a gift from her godmother named lucinda when she's a baby and she get's the gift of obideince. She has to do everthing she's told! If someone told her to stab someone she'd have to. This book is about a girl on a quest to find her godmather and make her take the gift back. This book is definittley a re-read!!!
posted Sep 9, 2004
Ashley said:
I thought this book was an awesome thing to read when you have no excitment in your life, it has alot of that! The mix of humor, romance, and action keep your nose in it and it doesn't come out until you are done and when it is, you want more! I would rate this book TEN stars if that was a choice!
posted Aug 27, 2004 at 4:48PM
Sandra said:
Ella Enchanted: This book is sort of like a retell of "Cinderella". Most people may have watched the movie when they hear the title. But the movie was not even close to the book itself!! You see.... this book gives you the feeling that you are actually there, feeling like you are part of the story.So recommend you this Book!! Don't you see the 5 stars?
posted Aug 24, 2004 at 11:22PM
Kira said:
It was magical and I like the different creatures and languages. It is a twisted version of Cinderella. Its about a girl named Ella who is under the spell of obedience,two other girls,Hattie and Olive see that Ella does everything she is told and take advantage of her.
posted Jun 19, 2004 at 2:28PM
Lisa said:
I had this book read to me in fourth grade. Now that the movie is out, I decided to read it again because I couldn't remember it that well. As an 8th grader, I LOVE this book. It is writted exquisitly and has good humor, plot, and anything else you want. A definite page turner!
posted Apr 23, 2004
Michelle said:
This book was great! It's good for anyone to read!
Sarah said:
This book is great if you are a girl and enjoy fairy tales. Ella was "blessed" at birth with the gift of obedience. Anyone can command her to do anything and she has to do it.