home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the hunger games /
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
Teen Fiction COLLINS

Really great series, but there is violence so be wary. But overall I loved it. I was behind the curve on reading this series,but I'm so glad that I read it. If you haven't already read it, you've got to read this series.
posted Mar 17, 2014 at 10:40AM
I love love love this whole series
posted Jan 28, 2014 at 9:02PM
Kayley2003 said:
The Hunger Games is filled with suspense.
posted Aug 25, 2013 at 10:55AM
lexi13 said:
This book is about a fight to the death. 2 tributes, a boy and a girl, from each of the 12 districts is chosen to compete in the annual hunger games. In the arena, there are many challenges the tributes face, such as, dehydration, hunger, insect bites, fire, and the obvious, everyone trying to kill you. I highly recommend this book, you won’t be able to put it down!
posted Jul 24, 2013 at 6:36PM
brookeiebunny said:
I think you should read this book becuase its about a fight to win hunger and there are 12 districts there were 13 but well... Katniss is a 16 year old entering the games as she finds out the boy tribute from here district has a crush on her well you will find out when you read the book.
posted Jul 8, 2013 at 7:01PM
Fiona said:
This book was EXTREMELY amazing!! I loved all the characters (except the ones that aren't supposed to be liked). I loved this book so much that I decided to read some other books by the same author. Be at least thirteen before you read this book because there is some violence in it. I hope you like this book!
posted Apr 24, 2013 at 4:54PM
Fiona said:
posted Apr 24, 2013 at 4:54PM
Joe said:
If you like action you will love this book. The story is about a girl who is forced to fight for her life. If your ready for action you will love this book.
posted Mar 8, 2013 at 2:25PM
Joe said:
posted Mar 8, 2013 at 2:25PM
Jacqueline said:
This book is so heart-racing. Ifinished the book in 2 days flat. I could not put it down. Be at least 11 before you read this book because it contains a lot of violence.
posted Feb 14, 2013 at 2:02PM
Jacqueline said:
posted Feb 14, 2013 at 2:02PM
Yes, I know, but if you haven't read this, you really should. Unless it makes you sick AS YOU ARE READING IT. On the Teenlinks page under the forum, there's a really good argument for reading this book.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:34PM
jav1204 said:
Dystopian future at it's best. The nation of Panem, puts children into an arena to fight to the death.
posted Nov 7, 2012 at 10:14AM
Pilover(3.14159...) said:
I definitly think this book was the best in the series, by the third book, it was almost boring.
posted Oct 16, 2012 at 9:13PM
Anime Love said:
more action but a little romance is the best!!!
posted Oct 11, 2012 at 7:14PM
cantstopreading said:
Defiantly the best one in the series-Its excellent!!
posted Aug 25, 2012 at 8:17PM
carolynlovestoread27 said:
I think the first one of the seris was decent but I did not like the last two very much.
posted Aug 25, 2012 at 8:06PM
I LOVE THIS BOOK, I could never live without reading this.
posted Aug 11, 2012 at 11:43AM
Peeta567 said:
This book is exciting action packed love story. I could never put it down. I was so excited to read the next book and I couldn’t because my mom didn’t let me buy it so I just requested it and it still hasn’t come I am about to pull my hair out. I NEED IT NOW!!!!
posted Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41PM
emma said:
This book is an exiting love story. With a big twist. it is my favorite book ever! It definetly keeps you up! I probably finished the series in a week ( I am 11 ) i really recomend this book.
posted Jul 20, 2012 at 1:32PM
emma said:
posted Jul 20, 2012 at 1:32PM
Michelle said:
I thought it was a great and action packed book. I did not really like the idea of teens fighting o the death on live TV for the capital's entertainment, but in the end I relly loved the message in the book.
posted Jul 16, 2012 at 11:45AM
Michelle said:
posted Jul 16, 2012 at 11:45AM
Mustafa said:
This was a really amazing book. It is so exciting and so well written, it is definately a must read for the summer. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read!
posted Jul 14, 2012 at 2:41AM
Mustafa said:
posted Jul 14, 2012 at 2:41AM
mikayla said:
This book was fantastic! The best written intriquing book I have read in a long time. My boyfriend, mother, grandma, and two sisters read it and loved it!
posted Jun 29, 2012 at 10:45PM
mikayla said:
posted Jun 29, 2012 at 10:45PM
Georgiana said:
This is a great book! You actually feel like your living the life of the main character, Katniss. This is a book that will keep you reading. When I was reading this book, I couldn't stop wondering what would happen next! I would definitely reccomend this book to ANYONE.
posted Jun 24, 2012 at 4:08PM
Rebecca said:
This book was amazing!! It was the perfect blend of science fiction, excitement, and a pinch of romance. Even some of my friends, who hate reading, couldn't help but fall in love with this book! It is a great read for any teen or adult looking for something new.
posted Jun 11, 2012 at 12:20PM
Rebecca said:
posted Jun 11, 2012 at 12:20PM
Elrock13 said:
This book is very controversial, but it did make me stay up late to read.
posted Jun 9, 2012 at 9:26AM
genius said:
It’s was a sci-fi movie.it’s was realistic fiction on the book
posted May 20, 2012 at 2:02PM
mice mice said:
So suspenseful!! A really good book!! Can't wait to read the next one!!!
posted May 4, 2012 at 8:49PM
said:
Personally, this book was a shocker! I expected it to be below all my friends praise for it, but i really liked it! It had an unexpected twist, which was surprising to me, and i can’t wait to read the next book (:
posted Apr 23, 2012 at 7:49PM
It was alright. I read the books so my expectations were high. But the movie wasn’t as good. So for you guys out there, either read the books or watch the movie. I am going to rphrase my first sentence, I liked the movie, Iloved the books!
posted Mar 31, 2012 at 2:14PM
farida said:
omg so i watched the movie but i am still going to read the book. it is the best!!! i was crying in the movie
posted Mar 30, 2012 at 9:07PM
farida said:
i luv hunger games
posted Mar 30, 2012 at 9:05PM
Avatar for Eden Prairie Library Staff Eden Prairie Library Staff said:
The 2012 Eden Prairie Reads Selection.
posted Mar 11, 2012 at 2:53PM
Avatar for becomethecatalyst becomethecatalyst said:
I really liked this book. HOWEVER it's really overrated at the same time!! & I want to see the movie but have a feeling I will leave the theatres disappointed
posted Feb 29, 2012 at 2:11PM
thebookworm said:
Now that their coming out with a movie for this book(I Am so excited!) it’s an excuse to reread this book (sooner) I am in love with this trilogy! It is my absolute favorite series/book. I’m not a movie person really and of course the book will be better than the movie but I would like to see how they will view it. This book is so funny I literally start cracking up in the middle of class! -oops- and whenever someone sees me reading this book they have nothing but good things to say about it! Like the following " oh wow your reading that book? That is a really good book disturbing but really good" said my reading teacher from past years and ext. I have been recommending this book to anyone that will listen and most of them read it and lOVED it well not a shock. Congratulations to Suzanne Collins she has written a phinominon!
posted Feb 25, 2012 at 9:52AM
dog said:
What a delectible novelette! The protagonist has a fascinating charisma that will engross you. Katniss lives in anything but an utopia, however, she audaciously perseveres and later terminates the atrocious capitol that deviously attempts to eradicate her in the Hunger games, a cataclysmic annual event which morosely kills 23 tributes each year. I unexpectedly relished this novel excessively! My abysmal thanks to the phenomenal Suzanne Collins!
posted Feb 20, 2012 at 9:44AM
Hades said:
i agree with ruedies and dumbledore, this is a great book!!
posted Feb 17, 2012 at 6:18PM
Dumbledore said:
A work of art. It is almost better than the harry potter series
posted Feb 16, 2012 at 8:47PM
A young adult novel, The Hunger Games presents a post-apocalyptic vision of the future of North America, now the nation of Panem. In Panem,—The Capitol—rules mercilessly over 12 outlying districts. Each year, The Capitol requires that each district select two teenagers by lottery—one boy and one girl—to represent the district at the annual Hunger Games, as “tributes”. The Games are a cross between the reality show Survivor and the Roman Colosseum: the 24 teens must fight to the death on live national television in a huge outdoor arena. The Capitol stages the Hunger Games as a continuing reminder of the districts’ subservience, and as a brutal warning about how rebellion is dealt with. Katniss Everdeen—heroine of the novel—becomes one of the tributes from District 12, the poorest of the districts, along with Peeta Mellark. The bulk of the book features Katniss and Peeta’s violent struggle for their survival, and their interactions with other tributes, citizens of The Capitol and with each other. I found this book well written and fascinating. I think it explores our fascination with "reality TV", celebrity and violence. Though it is a YA novel--it is extremely violent so I would not recommended it for the young teen. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
posted Feb 14, 2012 at 12:44PM
thebookworm said:
well a lot of people i knew were reading this book. But i have to admit that i diddnt really want to try it right away. . . but now that i read it im soooo glad that i did! it was amazing. the author wrote this book so well, that i could see the action. with some other books i really couldnt. this book kept me guessing and i couldnt put it down until i finnished it, and when i did i was craving the next book in this trilogy! please anyone out there with doubts, dont! i highly recommend this book! its one of my favorites after all!
posted Jan 12, 2012 at 4:41PM
Yugi100 said:
I love this book that I could not put it down! I think that The Hunger Games is the best series I ever read!
posted Jan 3, 2012 at 6:47PM
Personally, this is one of my favorite books/ series, plus a movie that is coming out sometime 2012. The movie will never match the book, but it would be nice to see how people interpret the events there.
posted Dec 14, 2011 at 8:26AM
When I picked up this book, I must confess I did not have high hopes for it. After all, sending kids into a game where they kill each other and only one survives is not my idea of a great book. Nevertheless, after a total of five people recommended it to me, I gave in and read it. And was surprisingly impressed. Not only is it an interesting plot, but the way the author describes incidents that usaully would be depressing into an intriguing suspense is brillient. Although it is not one of my favorite books, it did have me on the edge of my seat till the end. I would highly recommend it.
posted Nov 26, 2011 at 12:01PM
jazzy2 said:
I LOVED this book. I’m not really a fan of futuristic books, but Suzanne Collins writes this book so well. I could not put this book down, highly recommend it to anyone!
posted Oct 29, 2011 at 5:22PM
EasyOrange3 said:
This isn't banned, but I think it was challenged. Only, I don't know, half my school has read it, and everyone knows and loves it! lol. I'm really looking foward to reading it. It's about some kids who are automatically entered into a "game" called the Hunger Games. They can't get out of it, and they're forced to fight until they win. If you lose, well, you die. That's how you lose. It's quite scary and sad, but really, it's an adventuruos novel and is really exciting, and definitely hard to put down and worth reading.
posted Oct 2, 2011 at 1:39PM
Tanglebreeze said:
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Seriously. Watch as Katniss Everdeen fights for her life as she steps up to take her sister's place in a deadly competition.
posted Sep 9, 2011 at 5:44PM
Litlepapoose said:
Increible. Dificil de dejar de leer. Muy entretenido, mucho suspenso y facinante, pagina tras pagina. El unico consuelo es que hay dos libros más!
posted Aug 24, 2011 at 9:08PM
yoyo11 said:
I could not set this book down.( :
posted Aug 10, 2011 at 12:43PM
book_junkie said:
best book ive ever read. it got me back into reading
posted Jul 18, 2011 at 1:24PM
Team Gale 4 Ever! My friend stayed up ALL night reading this so she could tey and beat my other friend (the other friend was re-reading it).
posted Jul 7, 2011 at 2:38PM
sal13 said:
seriously one of the best books of all time
posted Jul 6, 2011 at 8:32PM
bran said:
one of the best books evar!!!!! i was up reading untill my light burned out last night...
posted Jun 29, 2011 at 2:32PM
izzyJ said:
This book i one of the best!!!!!! And i don't say that very often. I couldn't put it down. I read it in a matter of hours.
posted Jun 24, 2011 at 5:51PM
book lover :D said:
i LOVE this book!Poor Peeta..... Katniss and Peeta are perfect for each other!!! Does anyone agree?
posted Jun 15, 2011 at 3:38PM
great girl reads said:
The first book in what I think is the best trilogy ever. Packed with action, danger, suspense, love and everything you could ever wish for.
posted May 22, 2011 at 9:55AM
ultimatereader04 said:
i have read the book twice and both times i was taken away into Collins world and surprised at every turning corner. these books are great the message is strong and meaningful, i recommend the book to everyone to read. i really enjoyed the books because they always kept me reading! :)
posted May 9, 2011 at 6:57AM
okjiosfjsvs said:
Best Book Ever I recomend this book for everyone so action filled adventure mystery has all categories in it suzanne Collins does a great job with the book great characters kantiss gale peeta
posted Apr 20, 2011 at 2:23PM
booklover455 said:
I have only recently read the Hunger Games and they are by far one of the best books I have ever read. Suzanne Collins does brilliantly in this book!
posted Feb 24, 2011 at 3:47PM
Subz said:
the hunger games series are amazing!!!!!!
posted Dec 8, 2010 at 7:00PM
This is an amazing book! I absolutely loved it!! At every turn it was total suspense! Katniss seems like an amazing person. I would love to have her as a friend! This book is completely movie bound! :) I am dying to see it once it does turn into a movie!!!! :D
posted Dec 4, 2010 at 11:14AM
luochr001 said:
This is so suspenseful!!!!! Great plot! I highly recommend this book!!!! You will LOVE it! This story is set in the future when the Capitol is evil. It is about a girl named Katniss, her friend Gale, and Katniss's fellow tribute, Peeta. Soooooooooooo exciting!!!
posted Nov 10, 2010 at 8:03PM
Michael King said:
Love this dang book. Read hte others in the series, Catching Fire and Mocking Jay
posted Nov 8, 2010 at 6:32PM
Klaire Kirchner said:
Sooooo good!! :)
posted Sep 1, 2010 at 11:29AM
Anja Beth said:
I loved this book! I read the first page and couldn't put it down.Even if it's not the kind of book you normally like, I would recommend it. Collins makes it into more than a cheap thriller by adding emotions and feeling to this book. Wonderful!
posted Aug 10, 2010 at 5:26PM
Critic Girl said:
I loooovvvveeee this book. It is Amazing. theres going to be a movie on it. I think this bookis AWESOME
posted Jul 27, 2010 at 7:41PM
First in a very entertaining series that is a must for Twilight lovers. Strong female lead character with the requisite love triangle. And oh yes, planned for a movie eventually. Could be seen as a bit disturbing and would not recommend for sensitive teens or pre-teens.
posted Apr 19, 2010 at 5:13PM
Katniss lives in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian version of the country formerly known as the United States, now called Panem. For citizens outside the capitol district, life is tough and resources are scarce. Once a year, a national lottery is held, the "winners" of which, all children between the ages of 12-18, must enter an arena and do battle until only one contestant remains alive: the winner. This year, it is Katniss who will represent her district in The Hunger Games.

The premise of The Hunger Games is both fascinating and compelling. It reminded me in a morbid way of Shirley Jackson’s short story "The Lottery," but has more than enough original elements to stand completely on its own. Throughout, I couldn’t help but wonder how the author would handle the winner achieving the goal without shocking readers with ruthlessness.
posted Dec 17, 2009 at 3:33PM
I loved this book! I absolutely love how she threw some romance in it. One thing I dod not like was how it took a bit to really get into the story, but that is one thing I can deal with! I can not wait until I can read catching fire!!!!! :)
posted Dec 15, 2009 at 5:10PM
I absolutely loved this book, it was an intriguing disturbing read! I couldn’t put it down
posted Dec 15, 2009 at 1:36PM
Jackie2 said:
A spectacular book with a believable futuristic setting although she could have done without the romance aspect.
posted Dec 14, 2009 at 9:56AM
so good katniss and peeta really good 3D characters. haymitch is a really good person read this book!!!!
posted Nov 3, 2009 at 5:04PM
In the not-so-distant future, the nation of Panem has risen from the ruins of North America. To keep its citizens in line, the Capital forces one boy and one girl from each of its twelve distracts to act as “tributes” in the Hunger Games, a fight to the death televised live to the people at home. Katniss Everdeen is this year’s tribute. There’s a chance Katniss may be able to rely on Peta, the baker’s son from her own district who was also chosen for the Games—but on the other hand there can only be one winner, which means making friends is a huge risk that could quite literally end in betrayal and death. She’s a fighter, but her determination to win is complicated by shifting loyalties, the pressure to perform for those in control, a desire to rebel, and the pressure to win at any cost. The story is more than an adventure of survival; it’s a commentary on government power and the entertainment value of reality TV. It’s also a dystopian moral tale in the grand tradition of The Giver, Brave New World, and 1984. More to the point, The Hunger Games (the first book in a planned trilogy, Catching Fire is due fall of 2009) is an absorbing and thrilling page-turner. Eat-while-you-read: Beef jerky, preferably if you’ve hunted, butchered, smoked, and dried it yourself. Have a side dish of trail mix.
posted Aug 20, 2009 at 2:40PM
soccergal101505 said:
This book is a must read if u r interested in a girl taking the place of her sister in the hunger games and trying to survive. In this story, Katniss must learn to survive. There is a romance and fire making for a great read. And when I say fire I mean fire. Katniss must decide who to trust and when. She must stay alive and kill others. She must decide if Peeta really likes her and if this is all true.(U will understand this more if u read it and u must)
posted Aug 3, 2009 at 6:16PM
Catherine said:
This was an amazing book in the future about a girl name Katniss Everdeen and her parcipitation in the Hunger Games.
posted Jul 21, 2009 at 12:27PM
Catherine said:
posted Jul 21, 2009 at 12:27PM
koshkatamara said:
KaliO described it very well. I’m just going to add a few comemnts to that to those of you who are not being wise by still deciding whether or not to read it. I don’t exactly recommend it to those that can’t take too sad scenes or anything very gory or bloody or just cruel. But those parts add to the uniqueness and thrilling of the book. Just read it, don’t hesitate. I am pretty sure you will love it too.
posted Jul 15, 2009 at 8:37PM
fantasy_freak said:
"survivor" type game show of sorts. amazing book!
posted Jul 11, 2009 at 1:03AM
Sam said:
This book was wonderfully written! The book had the perfect amount of details and made me always feel like I had to read a little more!
posted Jun 29, 2009 at 11:43AM
Sam said:
posted Jun 29, 2009 at 11:43AM
O my gosh! this was a really,really,really Good book! I loved the part where she volunteered to take Prim’s place. So touching.
posted Jun 18, 2009 at 9:22PM
Riya said:
Wow! I read Suzano Collins’ other series
posted Jun 5, 2009 at 6:39PM
Nessiecob said:
Sad, scary, well-written, touching
posted Jun 2, 2009 at 2:50PM
In the not-so-distant future, the nation of Panem has risen from the ruins of North America. To keep its citizens in line, the Capital forces one boy and one girl from each of its twelve distracts to act as “tributes” in the Hunger Games, a fight to the death televised live to the people at home. Katniss Everdeen is this year’s tribute. She’s a fighter, but her determination to win is complicated by shifting loyalties, the pressure to perform for those in control, a desire to rebel, and the pressure to win at any cost. The story is more than an adventure of survival; it’s a commentary on government power and the entertainment value of reality TV. It’s also a dystopian moral tale in the grand tradition of The Giver, Brave New World, and 1984. More to the point, The Hunger Games (the first book in a planned trilogy) is an absorbing and thrilling page-turner, and that makes it required reading for any age group.
posted May 18, 2009 at 1:28PM
kb4444 said:
I read this book in one sitting...very good. Anyway, this girl named Katniss lives in a distopian world where every year two kids are selected from each community to fight to the death in the Hunger Games and she is selected...trust me it is worth reading
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 4:12PM
kb4444 said:
I read this book in one sitting...very good. Anyway, this girl named Katniss lives in a distopian world where every year two kids are selected to fight to the death in the Hunger Games and she is selected...trust me it is worth reading
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 3:58PM
CatFray said:
I loved this book, but it can by sooo sad!! Go Katniss!!!!!
posted Mar 24, 2009 at 9:02PM
CatFray said:
I loved this book, but it can by sooo sad!! Go Katniss!!!!!
posted Mar 24, 2009 at 9:01PM
briwand said:
Ever imagine living on your own in the wild? What about having to prevent others from killing you as well? And that the government organized this fun? These...games?
posted Feb 26, 2009 at 8:01PM
animalfan said:
This is an AMAZING book that I couldn’t put down but I don’t recomend it to younger readers or to people who don’t like books with some death and an occasional bloody scene.
posted Feb 6, 2009 at 11:00PM