home > bookspace > my comments > comment: girl with a pearl earring /
Girl with a pearl earring
Tracy Chevalier
Adult Fiction CHEVALI

stet said:
Told through the eyes of the 16 year old narrator, this is a coming of age story of how a peasant girl is forced to be the maid of Vermeer and eventually poses for the artist. I loved the descriptions of 17th century Delft. The girls strong observations of how the author worked and life of the day are absorbing. She also details the components of mixing colors and composition of a painting. These images jumped off the page as I read it.
posted Nov 16, 2010 at 7:28PM
Who is the girl with the pearl earring in the Vermeer masterpiece? No one knows. This book tells a story of who she might have been and her circumstances. It’s all a figment of the author’s imagination but I loved the feel of this book. The gritty depiction of the time period and locale. That and the outcome of the story made it totally plausable.
posted Jan 28, 2010 at 11:12AM
said:
I enjoyed this book immensely. This is a true gem.
posted Apr 21, 2008 at 8:10AM
Zspecial1 said:
I did NOT like this book. I wish I had never read it. I LOVE art, especially this painting, but this book did not need to be written. It went too far.
posted Jul 2, 2006 at 2:40PM
Maria said:
This book was rich in its description of what could have been behind the famous painting by Johannes Vermeer. Chevalier gives life to the girl, Griet, and what goes through her mind as she becomes fascinated by the painter whom she works for. Vermeer is also portrayed in a subtle fashion, his vision of the world a deep and convincing one. I practically consumed my way through this novel the first time and am in the process of reading it again, hoping to catch the more hidden nuances of the story and Chevalier's writing. It is an excellent, excellent book.
posted Jun 30, 2006 at 1:11AM
Maria said:
posted Jun 30, 2006 at 1:11AM
Natalie said:
I really loved it! It was a pretty easy read, it was fiction, yet it was about a real painting and a real artist. I loved how the author threw in very historical facts of how life was back then! She did an amazing job at writing the book. It was a page turner, I was very interested to know what would happen next. It is one I would read again
posted Jun 4, 2004