home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the lovely bones : a novel /
The lovely bones : a novel
Sebold, Alice.
Adult Fiction SEBOLD

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

Beautifully heartbreaking. Will make you think of your lost loved ones fondly and wonder about life after death. The book is WAY better than the movie, but the movie is worth seeing AFTER you've read the book.
posted Jul 7, 2010 at 12:12PM
funnywuzzy13 said:
Absolutely amazing read. The only reason I would never read it again is because it creeped me out too much! But it was amazing writing.
posted Sep 4, 2009 at 3:11AM
kb4444 said:
This one was well written and put forth an interesting view of heaven.
posted Mar 27, 2009 at 3:34PM
Amazing, splendid, riveting. Simply, The Lovely Bones is epic. It delves deeply into human emotions, especially those dealing with loss. Susie Salmon is our narrator, fourteen, raped, murdered and already in heaven. She gazes down upon her family on earth with infinite tenderness as she watches them cope with her death; a horror that was all too real. For those who are willing to dig beneath the surface, to you, I highly recommend The Lovely Bones.
posted Nov 18, 2008 at 8:47PM
I highly recommend this book. Mostly for me it was about relationships. I have a feeling though that this is a book that is best read twice to se what the author really intends everyone to see. There is definately more than meets the eye when it comes to this book. I like that the author didn’t mention God in Susie’s heaven, to me it gave it a feeling that everyone can enjoy this book no matter what someone’s religion is. I think that it was a smart choice on Sebold’s part, and that of her editor’s. I think that a wide group of people will enjoy this book, I know it was a big hit when it first came out, so I think it will continue in it’s popularity as the years go on, I know that I will be purchasing a copy of it.
posted Aug 18, 2008 at 9:30AM
Book Nut said:
This book is about death and what happens to loved ones once they are gone. It changed the way I viewed death and gave me a comforting feeling of how your relationships with others who have passed continue.
posted Nov 2, 2007 at 1:59PM
Kevbo said:
i thought that this book was very interesting. The authors point of veiw was different, and thats what makes the book so interesting. The first two chapters are heart beaking, but it gets amazing. HIGHLY recommend it
posted Oct 10, 2007 at 4:12PM
Meredith said:
I liked this book, but i didn't love it. I like how the author wrote it though, where you knew more than the characters did at times.
posted Jul 24, 2007 at 1:54PM
Meredith said:
posted Jul 24, 2007 at 1:54PM
KatieMat said:
This was a well-written book. But I had a hard time understanding how the author could write a whole book about heaven without a single mention of God? So for me, I felt like it was missing an important element.
posted May 30, 2007 at 7:47AM
Drusilla said:
This is the best book in the world its sososo sooooooooo sad
posted Apr 23, 2007 at 5:40PM
Amanda said:
this was an awesome book! It was very detailed and at times disturbing. But it really put you in the place of many of the different characters. The way the author shows the character.... viewing the world from heaven, really makes it interesting. There are twists and turns that really make u want to keep reading until the end. I recommend this book to all! And I belive that these kinds of books teach alot to people. And could change lots of things. I know it made me look at things very differently. You laugh, you cry, and want to be there yourself to see what is going to happen. I LOVEED THIS BOOK!
Dani said:
This book made me relize how great it is to be alive. It was a great book! All my friends at school want to read it because I'm telling them how good it is. It might be a little creapy to somepeople at first but it gets better as it goes along. I really liked this book!!!
Kelli said:
This book is really well written. It is really neat how the book is written from the persepective of a girl in heaven. I have never read a book like this before so it is really exciting to read. I never wanted to put the book down because whenever i got to the end of a chapter something exciting was about to happen
Jillian said:
I thought this book was amazing, I could not set it down, it was very interesting. I can't believe how good it was! Everyone must read it!
Kathleen said:
Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" is a very entertaining story about a teenage girl's view of the world after her rape. It is creative in the way a dead person, Susie, looks back on memories of her life. It is very intersting how she watches her family, in particular her father. One of the most interseting parts is when she is reincarninated in her friend's body for a few hours. While reading this, it makes the reader wonder what she would do if she died and got to return to earth for a few hours. The ending is happy when Susie's sister marries her high school sweatheart and buys a house with him.
Megan said:
I thought this book was very good, because it clearly shows the trials one family has to go through in order to find out who murdered their daughter, it is funny, and yet very heartbreaking to see what happens after a family loses something so incredible meaningful to them,and it is very interesting to hear about the girls own vision of heaven, because that is where she is when she gives the story of her murder, and looking down at her family, and watching everyone else. I guarantee that you will love this book, laugh and cry at some points. [Adult Fiction]