home > bookspace > my comments > comment: middlesex /
Middlesex
Eugenides, Jeffrey.
Adult Fiction EUGENID

AnneCP said:
Narrator Calliope Stephanides recounts the history of the family, from dire poverty in Greece to race riots in 1960s Detroit. While each character faces his or her own demons, no one is more trouble than our narrator, whose sexual identity is a source of pain, humiliation, and isolation. Eugenides creates a journey of discovery for the reader, dispelling myths about and endowing humanity to the "freak." One could read this work for its many insights and perhaps I will, too, on a second or third reading. But I loved Middlesex first and foremost as a truly wonderful story told by a master storyteller.
posted May 25, 2012 at 9:39AM
tennis girl said:
I lost interest about half way through and couldn’t finish it.
posted Mar 9, 2011 at 8:17PM
COURAGE86 said:
very very very good highly recommended
posted Jan 25, 2011 at 6:29PM
I simply can not stomach incest, so I had to put the book down before finishing it.
posted Oct 31, 2010 at 10:28PM
Asks the question: how much of who we are is determined by our gender?
posted Jul 7, 2010 at 12:20PM
JessMW_jmw said:
Really enjoyed book!!!
posted Sep 7, 2008 at 12:36PM
Wombat said:
I really enjoyed this book.
posted Mar 5, 2007 at 11:27PM
Spaynola said:
One of the best books I’ve read in the last five years. The author pulls you in and takes you for one heck of a ride! It’s hard to put down and when you finish it, you’ll feel like you’ve lost a friend. Highly recommended!
posted Jun 28, 2006 at 11:33PM
Caroline said:
About a teenage girl, Calliope, who finds out that she is really a boy. The book is not so much about this, but about her journey to find herself and how her genetics became so messed up.