home > bookspace > my comments > comment: crispin : the cross of lead /

"Crispin" actually exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be horrible. I had to read it for an assignment, and so I wasn’t so excited. But the more I read, the more I realized I was too quick to judge. It was a book that I had so much trouble putting down, and I personally think that everyone will like "Crispin". I was one to judge a book by it’s cover, but this book changed my views. I don’t want to give it all away, so no summary. I rated this book 4 and 1/2 stars.
posted Jun 13, 2013 at 5:39PM
Anna said:
"Crispen", by Avi, was a good book overall, but rather depressing. After his mother died, Asta's Son, a serf without a name or a past, is suddenly declaired a 'wolf's head' for a crime he did not commit. His only friend, a Catholic priest, is murdered, and he is forced to flee for his life. As he journeys towards a city where he might eventually gain his freedom, he is enslaved by a man named Bear, who teaches Asta's Son to be independant, and also helps him discover his past. 'Crispen' was a good book, but because its main plot deals with illigitimacy, it is more appropriate for an older audience than the one for which it was originally intended.
posted Jul 22, 2010 at 11:53AM
Anna said:
posted Jul 22, 2010 at 11:53AM
Cindy said:
I absolutely love this book, it shows you have to be loyal and throughout the whole story, Asta's Son (as Crispin is called before he reveals his true name), keeps a promise throughout the whole story. Crispin promises, Bear, his apprentice,and a juggler(or so you think) that he will protect him every way that Bear has protected Crispin, by saving him at the peak point of his death! [Newbery Award Winner]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Kyla said:
Crispin,(a boy)has just been said to be a wolf's head,which means that he can be killed by anyone.So he ran away from his town and meets Bear,who promises to protect him.With Bear, Crispin learns something about his dad and why others want to kill him. [Newbery Medal Winner]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Tanner said:
Have you ever read a bad Avi book? I have not. this is about the best Avi book. It is about a boy who has been preclaimed a wolf head, anyone may kill him. he needs to know why. He gets a lead cross, it has something written on it that may answer some questions but he can not read nor write.
posted Mar 16, 2006 at 5:20PM
John said:
It is very surprising, dull in the beginning but suddenly bursting into action at the heart of the story. You always have to be at the ready for the next page.
posted Dec 31, 2005 at 1:13PM
Maren said:
For anyone who likes historical fiction, suspense, and mystery, you have to read this! I read this book in a day, it was so gripping! [Newbery Medal Winner]