home > bookspace > my comments > comment: boy : tales of childhood /
Boy : tales of childhood
Dahl, Roald
Children's Fiction PR6054.A35 Z469 1984

Comments  Summary  Contents  Author Notes

Roald Dahl (1916-1990) is the quintessential children’s author. From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to The BFG to James and the Giant Peach (not to mention Dirty Beasts, The Twits, and Esio Trot), this perpetually popular author has the unique ability to tell a fantastic story. The man clearly had a wildly creative imagination, but he also lived a wildly creative life. He relates that life in two volumes: Boy and Going Solo. Boy is chock-full of antics and escapades from Dahl’s childhood—his vacations in Norway, his schoolboy pranks (including “The Great and Daring Mouse Plot”), and his eccentric family members. Savvy readers will spot not a few larks that clearly inspire his later fiction. Going Solo chronicles Dahl’s adult life, specifically his adventures in Africa working for the Shell Oil Company and his acts of derring-do as a RAF pilot during World War II. The real joy of his memoirs comes from Dahl’s distinct narrative voice—wry and tongue-in-cheek, full of dark humor and gleeful irony. Family photographs and documents dot the pages of both volumes. The most recent edition collects the two memoirs into one volume and feature lively cover art by Quentin Blake, whose illustrative style is practically synonymous with Roald Dahl’s most beloved books.
posted Jul 20, 2010 at 11:39AM
Sam said:
I loved this book! Who knew Roald Dahl had such an exciting childhood. It got slow in parts but then ended up being hilarious and awing. If you read other books of his he uses things he has seen for his books.
posted Jul 2, 2008 at 5:14PM
Sam said:
posted Jul 2, 2008 at 5:14PM
Hailey said:
You might think you know but you, will never know until you read this autobigoraphy. This is a book by Roald Dahl, about Roald Dahl. My favorite chapter is called goat tobbaco.
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:22PM
Hailey said:
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:22PM
Peter said:
I thought that this book was great. It tells funny stories about his childhood. I liked the part where he nearly got his nose cut off in a car accident!I loved this book.
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:15PM
Peter said:
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:15PM
Grace said:
This book is interesting. I like it because it makes you think about what is going to happen next! My favorite part was a chapter called the Great Mouse Plot. I think a lot of people would enjoy this book.
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:08PM
Grace said:
posted May 17, 2007 at 1:08PM
Jenna said:
I liked this book alot! This book is not like the other Roald Dahl books because it's the story of his life and it's not a fictional book.
posted May 17, 2007 at 12:55PM
Jenna said:
posted May 17, 2007 at 12:55PM
Alex said:
This book was such a cool book. I have wondered what his childhood would be like because his books are so exciting and funney. This book was just as good as the others. I highly recomend it.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Idil said:
It's always good to have some background info on your favorite author, espeacialy if the info is as funny as BOY. The unbealiveable stories of Roald Dahl's childhood will surely have you laughing out loud! This book is definitely worth reading.
posted Aug 12, 2004