home > bookspace > my comments > comment: artemis fowl : the eternity code /

The first book in the Artemis Fowl series, this YA novel follows the adventures of Artemis Fowl, a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind, as he kidnaps a fairy, Cpt. Holly Short (part of the fairy police) for a large ransom of gold. He needs the gold to replenish the family fortune (which was depleted by his criminal mastermind father). Frankly I found this book a disappointment—though I am usually a fan of fantasy. I found that the characters were not well written and I found that it was difficult to enjoy or care about any of them—particularly Artemis. He really had few redeeming characteristics. 1 star out of 5.
posted Jun 20, 2013 at 3:07PM
Pardon me, but to quote another book-list-maker on this site: "...but dang it, Artemis Fowl is too awesome to be ignored." I salute you.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:33PM
Too great not to be read!! 7 or 8 books in the series
posted Oct 19, 2012 at 9:30AM
Twelve-year-old genius. Supertechnology fairy underground. Need i say more?
posted Aug 9, 2012 at 7:04PM
hamburgers and me said:
This is a great book. Artemis’s father was in a plane filled with 250,000 bottles of when it blew up it was quite expensive and now the Fowl family are not in the billionare status. So Artemis hatches a scheme to kidnap and hold for ransom a fairy. He gets his hands on a copy of the People’s holy bible, the Book. It states that to renew his or her magic a fairy must take an acorn from an anchient oak by a bend in a river and replant it somewhere else. Artemis stakes out an oak and kidnaps Holly Short LEPrecon officer. He is willing to trade her for a ton of unmarked 24 carat gold bars. This is an epic start to a so far 7 book series.
posted Jul 5, 2012 at 1:31PM
scooby-doo said:
I HOPE YOU RIGHT ?!
posted Sep 27, 2010 at 7:21PM
Emily said:
Colfer makes this story completely his own! Artemis Fowl's unique idea of a kid genius hunting rogue fairies was one-hundred percent satisfying. This book was gripping from beginning to end -- a real page turner! Readers will be entertained by Artemis's uncanny genius and left wanting more. Artemis gets an A .
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28PM
Emily said:
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28PM
Brenden said:
This has been one of the better books I have read this summer. It is about a boy criminal mastermind that steals gold from fairies. He also tricks an elder fairy to give their secret book of ways for making her young again. He starts botherign the fairies but then the fairies stop playing by the rules. Its filled with adventure.
posted Jul 10, 2010 at 6:46PM
Brenden said:
posted Jul 10, 2010 at 6:46PM
fantasy_freak said:
one of my favorite series.
posted Jul 11, 2009 at 1:02AM
fantasy_freak said:
this book is a bit slow at the beginning, but it is totally amazing by the end. i fell in love with the series and reread the books all the time even now, four years after i started reading them
posted Apr 27, 2009 at 3:45PM
This is really a good book. I loved it. There are several sequels.
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 10:37PM
Hibbbs said:
This is a great book for anyone. If you see this read it. I think everyone should read it.
posted Dec 26, 2008 at 6:23PM
Story about a genius 10 year old boy (Artemis Fowl), faries he encounters, and the story that unfolds, complete with advanced technologies and weapons. There is a lot of action, and will be sure to pull you in. The five subsequent books continue to tell the story of Artemis and his new found friends and enemies.
posted Oct 2, 2008 at 9:02PM
Soniya said:
It was so - undescribable! It had so much to figure out, mysterious parts, all coming to the tense ending. It was a bit complicated, all the more making it a good one to re-read. I can't wait to read the second one!
posted Aug 20, 2008 at 7:03PM
Beth said:
This is a really great book! Artemis is really interesting and he is beginning to show signs of being a good person. He is still is annoyingly intelligent, though. He has teamed up with Holly Short and Commander Julius Root to save his father from the Russian Mafia.
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 9:09PM
Beth said:
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 9:09PM
Beth said:
I really love this book. My friend recommended it to me and she loved it too. I have read the other books in the series and I love them too. The new book is coming out and I am going to buy it. Artemis Fowl is a good character and he becomes less self-centered as the books go on. I would recommend it to everyone.
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 8:58PM
Beth said:
posted Jul 8, 2008 at 8:58PM
Sarah said:
Artemis is a criminal mastermind who promised to give up the life of crime until he finishes one last scheme. But then it all goes wrong he asks for the help of the fairy's but will they help him? Find out!
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 11:20AM
Sarah said:
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 11:20AM
Sarah said:
Artemis fowl is my favorite book. It is filled with action and is a fantasy book. It is about a criminal mastermind who discovers a different species ...fairy's. Read it and join artemis fowl in his exiting search for gold.
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 10:58AM
Sarah said:
posted Jun 22, 2008 at 10:58AM
Alex said:
My interest in Artemis fowl came from my mom. Knowing that the fairies in this book were tough was surprising.
posted May 9, 2008 at 1:16PM
Alex said:
posted May 9, 2008 at 1:16PM
Remo said:
In this book Artemis tries to sell something to Jon Spiro. But Spiro takes it from Artemis before paying the price. Artemis has to go through a journey to get his valuable thing back.
posted Feb 15, 2008 at 5:28PM
Anne said:
This was a great read. I read it twice in a week so I could understand it better. A very good plot. Goobers rule. ;)
posted Aug 9, 2007 at 2:14PM
Anne said:
posted Aug 9, 2007 at 2:14PM
Daniel said:
Its a great adventure and fantasy book that will interest kids of any age. You will have to take sides when you are shown the fairy Holly and the 12-year-old criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl, both great characters with well, intersting personalities. Read this book! It's such a page turner I read it in two days!
posted May 1, 2007 at 5:51PM
Daniel said:
posted May 1, 2007 at 5:51PM
Lara said:
This series is excellent. This book is about a greedy teenager genius, fairies, and a huge body protector named Butler. Artemis is a genius boy, and very exciting for anyone who understands hard physics.
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:55PM
Lara said:
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:55PM
Jigar said:
I thought it was fantastic! It had magic, leprecons, goblins, and an extremely intelligent boy. It makes me wish I was like Artemis.
posted Oct 9, 2006 at 3:50PM
Benjamin said:
Read about a teenage genius who has to out smart a high sicurity american. Enjoy yourself as the fariries and Artemis out smart John Spiro. [Series: Artemis Fowl #3]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Mitch said:
Artemis Fowl is a book about a young rich boy who has many battles with mithological animals.He lives in Ireland but has no acsent.I liked it because they show many of the same events from diferent charectors point of view. I think it is a very good book.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Kayla said:
I thought this book was a fun book to read, it got me reading all three of the series! ( Artemis Fowl, Artemis Fowl 2 The Arctic Incident, Artemis Fowl 3 The Eternity Code ) If you like escaping into a new part of the world, read the Artemis Fowl Series!
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Elle said:
I like this book because there is Fantasy creatures like faries,Sprites,And Leprachauns
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Danielle said:
This story was really good. It was suspenseful and (true, really make-believe), but it was described so well, I really felt like I was in the book.
posted Jul 6, 2005 at 1:53PM
Claire said:
I like this book a lot. It is more simular to the first one [Artemis Fowl] then the second [The Arctic Incident]. It is very adventurous and has a good plot. It really brings back Artemis's crimenal side and many of the great origenal charectors have returned. It again is full of humor, suspence and magic. And is a great end to the serries. [Sequel: The Arctic Incident]
posted Nov 16, 2004 at 3:17PM
Claire said:
I like this book a lot, it has adventure, magic and suspence. The charactors are very interesting as well. [Series: Artemis Fowl #1]
posted Nov 8, 2004 at 11:38AM
Andrew said:
This is great!! It's one of the best books I've ever read! Read it . you'll make me happy.
posted Sep 29, 2004 at 1:20PM
britta said:
I think this book was awesome I loved the book because it has so much action,and magic. 11 year old Artemius Fowl, criminal genuis is rich,cruel,and smart.He finds the world of magic, but will Fowl be outsmarted? Anyone who likes harry potter must read this book. [Series: Artemis Fowl]
posted Jun 4, 2004 at 11:18AM
Erica said:
I'm still in the middle of this book, but it's pretty good. I don't think I like it as much as the first two. If you haven't read the first two don't bother with this one. A few parts a bit predictable but over all it's pretty good. [Series: Artemis Fowl #3]
posted Jun 2, 2004
Sam said:
Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code, by Eoin Colfer is a great book. It is a fantasy book. In this story, Artemis has constructed a very high tech computer, called the C-Cube, years ahead of any other human technology. He made a deal with a man named Jon Spiro, but Spiro steals the C-Cube and Artemis must get it back before it is too late. [Series: Artemis Fowl Book #3]
posted May 26, 2004 at 11:29AM
Jake said:
Artemis Fowl and the Artic Incident by Eoin Colfer is a great book. Artemis Fowl is a fantasy and adventure book. This adventure Artemis has to find his dad and save him before it's to late. That's only part of the book you will have to read the rest by yourself.[Series: Artemis Fowl #2]
posted May 26, 2004 at 11:28AM
Maren said:
I loved this book! It's the second adventure of Artemis Fowl, a 13-year-old criminal mastermind. Artemis is determined to find his father, held ransom in Russia for what seems like forever. With help from Holly Short, a fairy from the LEPrecon unit, and his bodyguard Butler, Artemis journeys to the Arctic Circle to find his dad. This was a really good fantasy.
Patrick said:
Artemis Fowl is a 13 year old geneis, who must save his father from the Mafia in the Artic. This is one of my favoite books! Anyone who likes Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter will love this book! It's full of exitment, danger, and a little bit fairy magic. [Series: Artemis Fowl]
Chanho said:
This is a book for people who like adventure and magic. The book starts out with this boy who is very rich and is trying to get more! I liked this book because it was adventerous and cause it has magic.[I like magic.]
Bethany said:
I think this book was extremely well written. I generally enjoy books with fantasy creatures, and the Lower Elements creatures were fun to read about, especially since they're living during the present time. I think the second Fowl book is still as well written, but not as enjoyable as the first. The third book was, by far, my favorite, as the plot was complitcated and entertaining, and the suspence riviting.
Maren said:
This is the best of the "Artemis Fowl" series. Artemis Fowl, a 13 year old criminal mastermind, builds a cube that can render all technology useless. But a man named John spiro steals the cube, and Artemis needs help from the fairies to get it back.