home > bookspace > my comments > comment: inkheart /
Inkheart
Cornelia Funke
Children's Fiction FUNKE

Meggie has been raised by her father Mortimer (Mo), a bookbinder, a lover of all books--a trait he has passed on to Meggie. Soon she discovers that her father has the ability to read things and even characters out of books. Unfortunately, nine years before Mo brought out characters from a book called Inkheart, and in particular, a dangerous, heartless character known as Capricorn. In addition, Meggie learns that Mo’s ability is how she lost her mother many years ago. Capricorn is now searching for Mo, and plans to force Mo to use his ability for his own advantage. To save all, Meggie, Mo and their friends and family travel to find the author of Inkheart and defeat Capricorn and his henchmen. The characters in Inkheart are very original and I particularly liked the character of Meggie, a brave, intelligent heroine. It also gives an interesting perspective on how we feel and think about books. A fantasy novel that I think that would be appropriate for both older children (there are some violent scenes) and adults. A 4 out of 5 stars.
posted Aug 1, 2013 at 11:09AM
pirate g. said:
I think the author does a very good job at character discriptions. This goes for all 3 Inkheart books.
posted Feb 24, 2012 at 4:22PM
bballeu7 said:
IT’S LIKE ENERGIZER BATTERIES, IT JUST KEEPS GOING AND GOING AND GOINg... not in a good way!
posted Sep 27, 2011 at 3:17PM
bookworm303 said:
i totally agree with reverdy01 i stopped in the middle of the last book and have no intenton of finishing it its like come on aleady but this book is AWESOME!!!!
posted Sep 4, 2010 at 3:46PM
amoeba said:
my favorite! original plot--the talent of reading characters out of books, adventure, book-lovers
posted Aug 24, 2010 at 12:29AM
Reverdy01 said:
i like this book but i dont like inkdeath (the last book in the series) its just like WRAP IT UP ALREADY
posted Jul 24, 2010 at 12:38PM
probablynarnia said:
I really liked this one, but not the rest of the series. I really want the power to read things out of books like Meggie and Mo.
posted Jul 11, 2010 at 7:38PM
Meggie! A sweet, Kind girl, who needs answers from her father. He won’t tell his daughter what he is looking for, and when he does find it, he won’t tell her what it is, and it gets Meggie and Moe, her dad, into a heep of trouble. Will they be able to rescue Meggie’s mother, and rescue themselves before it’s too late?
posted Jul 7, 2010 at 8:47PM
tonkapinky said:
this story is about a guy who, when he reads books the characters in the story come out of the book and somebody from the real world goes in. Unfortunatly, he reads a story to his wife who goes in the book and dosen't come back out. FYI:there is more books after this one!
posted Jan 4, 2010 at 6:48PM
Twelve-year-old Meggie lives a near-perfect life with her bookbinder father, Mo. Meggie’s mother disappeared years ago, but Meggie and Mo have coped by indulging in a mutual love of books. This calm and comfortable lifestyle is suddenly threatened one dark and stormy night. A stranger, calling himself Dustfinger, shows up to consult with Mo and, to put it frankly, scares the beejeezus out of Meggie. There’s more disturbing news when she realizes her father has been keeping a pretty big secret: Mo has the power to read books to life. When Meggie’s mild-mannered father reads out loud, the characters come leaping off the pages and into real life. An ill-fated reading nine years ago from a book called Inkheart created a villain named Capricorn, who wants his copy back from Mo and will stop at nothing to keep from being read back into fiction. It’s an imaginative, complex blend of fantasy that’s worthy of the dramatic clash between Muggles and magic in Harry Potter, especially with multilayered characters like tragic Dustfinger, creepy-cruel Capricorn, and intrepid Meggie, our young heroine who has a few tricks of her own tricks up her sleeves. This is a book about books in the best sense, with a mysteriously cozy atmosphere, lots of literary references, and fantasy galore. Getting lost (literally!) in a book has never been so magical.
posted Dec 4, 2009 at 2:07PM
Emme said:
A good and different fiction series!
posted Aug 12, 2009 at 11:15AM
Alejandro said:
I'll say that it was full of pain,but that doesn't mean that it was horrible. I say to teens that this is a great read for ages 13 and up.
posted Jun 29, 2009 at 4:30PM
I am reading this book right now. I cannot put it down for my life.
posted Feb 12, 2009 at 7:03PM
AdrianaP said:
This is a great book. I listened to it and read it, alternating between times in the car and at home. I just started Inkspell to continue the story.
posted Jan 6, 2009 at 1:28PM
Rebbecca14 said:
it!
posted Jan 3, 2009 at 2:28PM
This book was very good and unlike any other it has very unique charecters and a good plot.
posted Oct 26, 2008 at 6:54PM
Dibby said:
This book is amazing! It is fantasy to the extreme however but there are so many twists, turns, cliffhangers that just make you not want to put it down!
posted Oct 15, 2008 at 7:20PM
A really great book!! I wish i had the ability to read characters out of books.........
posted Sep 30, 2008 at 9:07PM
Soniya said:
Inkheart was interesting and very hooking. I loved the ending. It is also a kind of sad but hopeful type of book. I really, really, liked it. Meggie is brave, smart and quick-witted. I also like Teresa. It was cool how Mo (silvertounge) could read things out of books! I am now reading Inkspell, the sequel. I can't wait for Inkdeath, the last book!
posted Aug 29, 2008 at 8:43AM
also a long book but fun to see what meggie, the girl in this book, gets into fallow through this exiting adventure and the next book is inkspell
posted Jul 12, 2008 at 9:20AM
also a long book but fun to see what meggie, the girl in this book, does and finds
posted Jul 9, 2008 at 4:53PM
Sammi said:
very fun book for older kids. if you like books a lot this is a good one for you!
posted Jul 9, 2008 at 2:27PM
Sammi said:
posted Jul 9, 2008 at 2:27PM
bookwormgirl422 said:
It is a pretty lenthgy book. However one of the best. It is great for fanstey lovers.
posted Jun 29, 2008 at 2:01PM
dell said:
One of my favorite books! Meggie sees a man outside her window one night and her father seems to know him. Who is he and why are they keeping secrets from her?
posted May 31, 2008 at 11:30AM
crazyreader903 said:
ink heart is a veary good book you sould read it brings you to a new world and thats a good exsperiens Also a i cant wait till the next book in ink tec.
posted May 24, 2008 at 4:40PM
libby_izzy said:
I love this book! it's soo good the minute you open you can't stop reading it!
posted Apr 8, 2008 at 1:21PM
This is a beautiful story. Funke really captures the essence of classic children’s fiction. The mystery and joy involved in reading is brought to life in this great fantasy tale. I’m looking forward to the third installment!
posted Mar 18, 2008 at 7:40PM
dell said:
One of my favorite books! Meggie sees a man outside her window one night and it sends her on a long adventure. Her father has the gift to read people of things out of books. Will her life ever be back to normal?
posted Mar 18, 2008 at 4:18PM
Dell said:
One of my favorite books! Meggie sees a man outside her window one night and it sends her on a long adventure. Her father has the gift to read people of things out of books and that will change her life forever.
posted Mar 17, 2008 at 10:43AM
O gee, this was a good book. But it was scary at the end.
posted Mar 3, 2008 at 10:26AM
Pinky said:
I loved it! It was a great non stop adventure.
posted Feb 11, 2008 at 5:04PM
Pinky said:
I loved it! It was a great non stop adventure.
posted Feb 11, 2008 at 5:04PM
lizzielovesdrama said:
hey i love this book. it is very mysterious ALL the time. you know how looooooooooong books have a looooooot of boring parts? like one example is Harry Potter........... c’mon you all know that you get sick and bored during those books!!!!! but, anyway, this book is not ever like that at all! IT IS NEVER BORING
posted Nov 6, 2007 at 7:11PM
Sarah said:
This book was great for fantasy lovers like me. It reminded you about all the books you used to read when you were little.Meggie brings to life familiar characters, like tinkerbell. This book really lets you use your imagination and has a great message about life.
posted Aug 14, 2007 at 10:30AM
Sarah said:
posted Aug 14, 2007 at 10:30AM
Vida said:
I recommend this to EVERYBODY. but especially those who like books.
posted Aug 12, 2007 at 12:03PM
Ingrid said:
This book is about a girl named Meggie. One night she looks out her window and there is a man standing by the door. Her father lets him in and it turns out that his name is Dustfinger and he is part of a secret that Meggie's father wont explain. The next day Meggie and her father start on a trip with Dustfinger to Meggie's aunts house. Then Meggie starts discovering what the secret is about. I think this book is really good, and would reccomend it.
posted Aug 6, 2007 at 5:54PM
Ingrid said:
posted Aug 6, 2007 at 5:54PM
dancycandy81 said:
A well-known international author, a deep plot, mystery, characters so surreally realistic, and a great story line tie together this awesome novel.
posted Aug 3, 2007 at 4:14PM
Ngan said:
I would say this book is amazing! It have thrilling adventure of Meggie and her father. Will the world be trapped in Capricorn's hands?
posted Jun 9, 2007 at 9:16AM
melting hearts said:
i must be the only one on this list so far that didn’t like it. it was boring, i couldn’t get through the first five chapters. i couldn’t figure out the time period which really ticked me off, and i couldn’t follow the character’s feelings or the storyline half the time. ppl keep saying it’s ausome. maybe if i tried it now it would be different, but i’m not sure i want to.
posted May 15, 2007 at 4:27PM
Ngan said:
I love it, Meggie and her father had tons of amazing adventures. They suffer through to tons of different things. If you read it, I'll bet it'll be full of surprises and made you wondering what's next...
posted Mar 15, 2007 at 6:42PM
Lara said:
This is a peculiar and intresting book about a girl named Meggie, and her father, whom whenever reading aloud, the words come to life. Very exciting
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:58PM
Lara said:
posted Jan 10, 2007 at 2:58PM
Sam said:
i really liked this book and recomend it to people who like fantasy adventure. I give this book a 5 star rating
posted Aug 16, 2006 at 11:27AM
Sam said:
posted Aug 16, 2006 at 11:27AM
Mariah said:
It soooo good. and the second one is awesome too. i think that everyone should read it. it may be thick but dont think of it that way. once u start u get hooked its realllllllllly good.
posted Aug 3, 2006 at 1:53PM
Mariah said:
posted Aug 3, 2006 at 1:53PM
Gaurav said:
This is a fantastic fantasy novel. I wish I could have the talent of reading the characters out of my favorite books. I can't wait to the next book in the trilogy.
posted Jul 18, 2006 at 8:39PM
Gaurav said:
posted Jul 18, 2006 at 8:39PM
BrieAnna said:
i liked the book inkheart because it just pulls you into the book you feel like you are just standing there watching the story fall into place or you feel like one of the charectures especially Meggie. Inkheart is an exciting thriller sad at some points and happy at others. one other thing i like about at the begining of each chapter there is a fun qoute from older books.This book may look big but it goes by really fast because its so great!!!!
posted Jun 26, 2006 at 9:48AM
BrieAnna said:
posted Jun 26, 2006 at 9:48AM
Carla said:
The best book in the world! My favorite cariter is Mo he takes care of books and has a wonderful voise.
posted Jun 25, 2006 at 11:18AM
Carla said:
posted Jun 25, 2006 at 11:18AM
Tanner said:
This is another amazing book by Cornelia Funke. That shows fantasy like never before. From dustfinger the fire eater to capricorn the evil guy this is a have to read book.
posted Jan 31, 2006 at 7:18PM
Sarah said:
Inkheart is a very wonderful book. It is about a girl and her father. The father is hiding something, but it is too late. I don't want to give the story away, so you will just have to find out yourself. It is very suspenseful and a wonderful book to read if you like fantasy or fiction books. If you read it, you will find the inkheart!
posted Sep 4, 2005
Christina said:
This book was a very exciting and well written book. This book is about a girl named Meg, whose father is a widower and is a talented book binder; but has a very special talent&he can read characters, money, animals, well anything out of books! Now when an evil character kidnaps Meg's father she is the only one who can rescue him. When Meg learns about what happened to her mother and what she is capable of doing, she must get out of where she is and go home. This book, is a book that you can never put down, I read it till 2:30 A.M. on a school night because I could not put it down! You have to read this book, and see what I mean when I say that it is the best book ever!
posted Jul 26, 2005
Sarah said:
This book was the BEST!!! I couldn't stop reading it once I started it. Unlike many books, the adventure begins in the first chapter! Inkhear is about a girl named Meggie who lives with her father. When Meggie was very little, her mother suddenly dissapears into a book, while three other people end up coming OUT of the book. That is when everything starts. She always has to move, but doesn't know why! Finally, when she is 12 years old, she gets a strange visitor at her house. Things keep getting worse for her after the strange visitor, and after many horrible things happen to her and her father, you would think nothing could possibly happen worse. But things do get worse! Meggie has to do the unthinkable!!! I won't tell you anything else, or it will ruin the book. Inkheart is now my favorite book, and will probably be yours once you pick it up and read it!
posted Feb 22, 2005
Laura said:
This is one of the best books I've ever read, i couldn't put it down. It's a fantasy story about a girl and her father who can read things(including people) out of books. Her father accidently reads a villain named Capricorn out of a book when she's a child, and her mother goes into the book. It's a great story, i recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy stories.
posted Dec 19, 2004
Claire said:
This was a great book! It kept you on your toes and really made you think. The characters were great and i can really relate to her. The dialogue is witty and Cornelia Funke gives great discription. You have to read it, i know you'll LOVE it!
posted Oct 16, 2004
Jennifer said:
This is one of my favorite books! Imagine if the characters that you read about in books could come alive, and leave their story? Well this is the adventure that Meggie has been brought into. One night her father Mo, reads aloud from Inkheart, and an evil ruler named Capricorn escapes the boundaries of fiction and the lands of their own living room. Somehow, Meggie and Mo must learn to harness the magic that conjoured this nightmare. Somehow they must change the course of the story that has changed their lives forever.
posted Sep 25, 2004
Chris said:
Best book I have read in my life. Fantastic plot "the book comes to life."