home > bookspace > my comments
Limit to:
Cover ArtCase closed? : nine mysteries unlocked by modern science
by Hughes, Susan
Children's Fiction D21.3 .H84 2010
This is another kids’ book; this one telling of historical cases-for example, Anastasia-that were solved very recently using technology. I enjoyed reading it, and was surprised how I only knew about half of the cases to begin with. I don’t know why, but I like kid’s history books. Perhaps because they get right down to the point, or because I love the pictures. Either way, I enjoyed this book.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:34AM

Cover ArtThe phantom tollbooth
by Juster, Norton, 1929-
Children's Fiction JUSTER
The Phantom Tollbooth is a children's novel by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer. Milo, a bored young boy, unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon. Because he has nothing better to do, he decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom. There he acquires two faithful companions (a “watch” dog named Tock and Humbug, and the three of them goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom—Princess Rhyme and Princess Reason—from the castle in the air. A sweet book for bored children with wonderful word and number play, plenty of puns and the illustrations are wonderful. This book has been described a kind of Alice in Wonderland—but I really thought it more a Wizard of Oz—because in the end there really is no place like home. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
posted by Marsap on Sep 19, 2014 at 2:07PM

Cover ArtThe book stops here [electronic resource]
Israel Armstrong is a vegetarian librarian from London who finds himself in rural Ireland running a rundown bookmobile. However, this is not the job Israel had envisioned for himself. An opportunity to attend a bookmobile conference in London may be his way out (and give him a chance to enjoy his favorite indulgences, visit his family and see his girlfriend). When mobile librarian Israel Armstrong's library-on-wheels is stolen at the convention, he sets out with his fellow librarian Ted Carson to find it. Their search leads them to a suspicious convoy of New Age travelers. I found the plot pointless and silly, the characters hard to warm to and the ending did not connect with the rest of the book. I think I will pass on any further books in this series. 1 out of 5 stars.
posted by Marsap on Sep 18, 2014 at 2:09PM

Cover ArtCurse of the Jade Lily
by Housewright, David, 1955-
Adult Fiction HOUSEWR
Curse of the Jade Lily is the latest Rushmore (Mac) McKenzie’s case. The case involves a stolen gem with a tragic history, a curse, a million dollar ransom, corrupt museum board members, Slavic mass murderers, and rightful owners.. Several years ago, McKenzie, former police officer, became an unexpected millionaire and set about doing not much of anything. Now, showing up at his doorstep is the insurance company that paid the settlement that made him rich—and they want a favor. Someone has stolen a very expensive gem (a jade) from a local art museum and is willing to ransom it back. The only condition is that McKenzie has to be the go between. No ordinary gem—it is a jade with a history going back to the Qing Dynasty and a reputed curse that stories claim has ruined or killed everyone who has ever owned it. McKenzie agrees to help but what starts out as a simple ransom quickly becomes complicated. An enjoyable read--fun great character in Rushmore Mackenzie--lots of twin city references—and nice twists. 3.5 stars out of 5.
posted by Marsap on Sep 18, 2014 at 12:02PM

Cover ArtThe darkest minds
by Bracken, Alexandra
Teen Fiction BRACKEN
OHMIGOSH THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. I'M DYING ON THE INSIDE, I NEED TO READ THE SEQUEL, I NEED TO BE OK. YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:51AM

Cover ArtBasil of Baker Street
Basil of Baker Street is a children’s book based on the Sherlock Holmes stories. Basil—a famous sleuth of mousedom--lives in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes' house. A great admirer of the Holmes, Basil has learned his craft by listening at the feet of Holmes himself. The Mystery of the Missing Twins was one of the strangest cases in Basil's career. He had only a few crumbs of clues with which to find solutions to such baffling questions as: Who had masterminded the plot? Where were the twins, Angela and Agatha, being kept? Using the deductive reasoning he has learned from Holmes he is able to solve the mystery just in time. A great book for those that want to introduce a young child to Holmes—fun and easy read. Illustration were also quite nice. A 3.5 stars out of 5.
posted by Marsap on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:43AM

Cover ArtThe fall of the house of Usher.
by Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849
Adult Nonfiction PS2614.A2C3
"The Fall of the House of Usher" recounts the terrible events that befall the last remaining members of the once-illustrious Usher clan—narrated by the boyhood friend of Roderick Usher. It is a gothic horror story and a great example of how an author such as Poe gets straight to the point. It is a quick read—but the fear and the horror grow with sentence. A 4 out of 5 stars.
posted by Marsap on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:22AM

Cover ArtThe mysterious Benedict Society
by Trenton Lee Stewart
Children's Fiction STEWART
This is one of my favorite children books, from the first time I read it shorter after it had come out. The characters are young, but surprisingly intelligent and quirky. The plot is unique, but it is the friendship that the protagonists make that truly makes this book shine. I highly recommend it.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Sep 16, 2014 at 11:59AM

Cover ArtEnclave
by Aguirre, Ann
Teen Fiction AGUIRRE
This book condones the rape of one of it’s characters and blames the victim for the attack. I don’t care for the messages it instills, not to mention the whole thing is so poorly written it makes Twilight look like fine Literature.
posted by DistractedReader on Sep 15, 2014 at 6:08PM

Cover ArtThe iron queen
by Julie Kagawa
Teen Fiction KAGAWA
Just finished this book and honestly I’m soo happy I only have to read one more book in this series!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:25PM

Cover ArtPandemonium
by Lauren Oliver
Teen Fiction OLIVER
Pandemonium is the sequel to Delirium and it was so much better! It was a lot faster paced and was so exciting to read! Can’t wait to read the third book: Requiem!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:25PM

Cover ArtDogtooth [videorecording] = Kynodontas
Absolutely wonderful.
posted by Shakes on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:01PM

Cover ArtThe book thief
by Zusak, Markus.
Teen Fiction ZUSAK
This book was really, really good. It was one of the best historical fiction I have ever read.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:01PM

Cover ArtSince you've been gone
by Matson, Morgan
Teen Fiction MATSON
This was a really good book about friendship, getting over your fears, and falling in love.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00PM

Cover ArtThese broken stars
by Kaufman, Amie
Teen Fiction KAUFMAN
This is a book about two people who get stranded on a planet after their space-cruise-ship-thing crashes. It's a really great book and I'm so excited for the sequel!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00PM

Cover ArtIf I stay
by Forman, Gayle.
Teen Fiction FORMAN
If I Stay was AMAZING. I read it in less than a day I was just so into it. It was sad, and happy, and just plain emotional. I highly suggest you pick this up.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:58PM

Cover ArtDeep blue
by Donnelly, Jennifer
Teen Fiction DONNELL
This was a good book, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a mermaid fan.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:57PM

Cover ArtNever too late
by Destiny, A.
Teen Fiction DESTINY
This was such a cute book!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:56PM

Cover ArtThe truth about forever
by Dessen, Sarah
Teen Fiction DESSEN
I have read Sarah Dessen before, but I think this is my favortie book of hers that I've read so far!! It was really good and the characters and the story were just so wonderful. It was so easy to get hooked on this book and I would definitely recommend it!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:56PM

Cover ArtThe boy in the striped pajamas : a fable
by Boyne, John, 1971-
Teen Fiction BOYNE
This was a really good book about a German boy who lives by a concentration camp and meets a boy through the fence. It is sad though.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:54PM