home > bookspace > my comments > comment: outlander : a novel /
Outlander : a novel
Diana Gabaldon
Adult Fiction GABALDO

Comments  Summary  Contents  Excerpt  Reviews  Author Notes

Literary soulmate - James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser.
posted Feb 13, 2014 at 12:45PM
Claire is a WWII nurse just reunited with her husband Frank following the war, enjoying what is, in effect, a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. While exploring a local henge one morning, Claire hears a buzzing noise, experiences dizziness and faints near the standing stones, waking up roughly 200 years in Scotland’s past, smack dab in the middle of a skirmish between a small group of fugitive Scots and the English. She is initially apprehended by an English Captain, Jack Randall, who looks uncannily like her husband and thinks her a spy. She is shortly thereafter "rescued" by the Scots and, although suspicious of her and solicitous not quite to the point of friendliness, they escort Claire to their home, Castle Leoch. At the castle she is given a room and otherwise treated like a guest, but is not allowed to leave. Although attempting to return to the 20th century is foremost in her mind, she bides her time by exploring the castle and using her nursing skills to administer to its inhabitants, becoming acquainted with them all, including the young Jamie who was among the original party she encountered and severely wounded. Will Claire eventually succeed in returning to the henge outside Inverness? Will she want to?

I first read Outlander in 2004, and only recently picked it up for a re-read (something I rarely do). Diana Gabaldon’s writing is meticulously detailed and engaging, and I have regarded Outlander ever since as one of the most memorable books I’ve ever read. Even now, I could hardly bear to put the book down each night before bed, and I fell in love all over again.
posted Jan 11, 2014 at 12:21PM
My friend kept raving about Outlander and I wasn’t that enthused since I didn’t think I liked time travel. I tried the abridged audiotapes and then I was hooked - and I had to find the unabridged set. Great novel; very exciting and extremely difficult to put down.
posted Dec 19, 2007 at 4:53PM
Patsy said:
READ THIS BOOK! Fascinating concept, exceptional writing and character development!
posted Sep 20, 2007 at 4:28PM
Kate12 said:
This is a fabulous series. The books can be a bit violent, but the love story is epic - Jamie and Claire just grow more and more compelling as the books go on. The language is wonderful, the setting and descriptions are great and the story just draw you right in and won’t let go. I can not wait till the last one and Jamie finally gets to fight the British again!
posted Aug 12, 2007 at 2:53PM
Barb said:
To be honest, I was a little disappointed after reading Outlander. I had heard so many good things about it, my expectations were high. For a historical romance it’s definitely more "romance" than "historical". Also, I thought the character of Claire was written too one-dimensionally. It is entertaining if you don’t expect too much.
posted May 3, 2007 at 1:43PM
Patsy said:
An AMAZING series! A wonderful story told by a masterful storyteller, and one that I have recommended time and again to friends and family. This series just draws you in!
posted Sep 28, 2006 at 4:52PM
Margaret Dokka said:
This series is likely to appeal to people who like really big continuing stories with lots of characters and plotlines (Like the Jean Auel books or Eastenders). Unlike the Earth’s Children series however, this author starts with a very good book and just gets better with each one that follows.
posted Jun 7, 2006 at 2:06PM
Susan S. said:
I LOVE this series (of which Outlander is the first novel)! Gabaldon is not afraid to confront difficult topics and to bring out raw emotion in her characters. Her characters are relateable, and her words can bring both laughter and tears.
posted May 22, 2006 at 7:11PM