home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the giver /
The giver
Lois Lowry
Children's Fiction LOWRY

Comments  Summary  Contents  Excerpt  Reviews  Author Notes

If you haven't read this book already, that's weird. Go pick it up 'cause you won't regret it!
posted Aug 26, 2013 at 3:03PM
Mary said:
This book was so amazing!! I loved it sssooo much I read it in three days! It was totally one of the best books I've ever read! Every moment was so perfectly paced and just drew you in! And Jonas was such a likeable character. I would DEFFINENTLY recommend this book!
posted Apr 23, 2013 at 5:29PM
Mary said:
posted Apr 23, 2013 at 5:29PM
This one made me cry, though it took me forever to read it.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:45PM
Okay...really not one of my favorite books, but I guess you should read it. I read it, I cried, I ate some chocolate, I felt much better.
posted Sep 9, 2012 at 1:22PM
thebookworm said:
i LOVED this book i read it in the fifth grade as a class and i have reread it and can understand it so much better now this book was exquisitly written and if u loved the giver i highly reccomend the book MATCHED by ally condie it is super popular now too. I honestly cant believe how many people even adults havnt read this book. this is a defenet MUST READ book!!!!!!!!! but i gotta warn you it IS very deep. but even if this book does not seem to be "your kind of book" you should seriousley try it! i diddnt really think it was my kind if book at first either but this book was the one that got me started on aposapocoliptic settings in books! please at least try it! it was very good!!!!! =)
posted Jul 29, 2012 at 9:30PM
Roxkin Reader said:
I have read this book in school, it is A LOT different then the other books I read. I find it really sad that Jonas is going through all this. I find it to be a quick read but to the point.
posted Nov 26, 2011 at 9:30AM
this book has really a different concept that’s why i like this book very much.
posted Oct 3, 2011 at 4:51AM
EasyOrange3 said:
This book is about a Dystopian society, and everything is perfect. But not for much longer...(Utopian and dystopian society.) Jonas becomes the Receiver of Memory, which means he'll get memories tranferred from the Giver to himself, and he will start to find out what colour is, what pain is, and what life should be like...
posted Oct 2, 2011 at 1:41PM
said:
This book is really different. Its about a utopia world were everything is black and white. It is really interesting a very good read.
posted Jul 18, 2011 at 3:26PM
sal13 said:
older but still good
posted Jul 6, 2011 at 8:27PM
juliette said:
i like the book and imagine to be n a world that you make 3 erors and then you are elminated for ever that would be ba and not a utopian world
posted Oct 26, 2010 at 1:34PM
free2write said:
Enter into a perfect Utopian Society. Meet Jonas, who is suddenly chosen to be the next "giver" the one who holds who will be given all the memories of what used to be normal life. He will hold memories such as the feelings of climate change, color, ECT. But what happens when Jonas can't take it?
posted Apr 25, 2010 at 1:10AM
onerepublic4ever said:
I enjoyed this book also. all i would like to say and that i understand and i hope people will agree with me on is that the community of the Giver is simple, They don’t have emotions and they shun the word love and you cant reallt make a facial expression for the word love. and therefore i come to the conclusion they only use emotion as words they can make facial expressions for. i mean look at it this way. Love can be a smile, or a frown or glance. happy is a smile or gesture. Sad is a frown. Mad can be an action glance or scowl. simple as that
posted Mar 23, 2010 at 9:32PM
AllieRose said:
You will never perceive our world the same again.
posted Jan 22, 2010 at 10:06PM
Meg said:
I really liked it. It would be a great read for anyone, of any age.
posted Feb 21, 2009 at 11:12AM
Meg said:
I really liked it. It would be a great read for anyone, of any age.
posted Feb 21, 2009 at 11:12AM
I really enjoyed this book. I thought i was a teeny bit sad at one part but otherwise great! I would recommend this book to anyone. :)
posted Feb 21, 2009 at 10:33AM
charms09200 said:
This book is so far out there that it grabs you and throws you into this world. It makes you think in a different way, absolutely wonderful. Gathering Blue and the Messenger are also wonderful
posted Nov 28, 2008 at 7:51PM
ariannalopez13 said:
really really good book
posted Oct 4, 2008 at 12:15PM
big hoopz 43 said:
This book was good. It was kind of sad the people couldn’t really live there lives were controlled that was sad. but the point of the story was powerful and any person who is not sure whats there purpose on life should read this book ~ arianna~
posted Aug 11, 2008 at 6:06PM
Olivia Priedeman said:
I love how the world is ment to be perfect. The way the author had the people in the world not have color or anything as simple as snow. And how she described all the the memorys it really made me think about life and feelings.
posted Jul 6, 2008 at 9:19PM
Books You Have To Read said:
This is about a boy who lives in a community where everything is better and the same- and there are no history classes!
posted May 25, 2008 at 9:36AM
Books You Have To Read said:
This is a classic...for a good reason. Some people say he dies at the end but I think that's crazy.
posted May 23, 2008 at 4:46PM
bklover said:
This is one of the most interesting sci-fi books i have ever read, it makes you almost gratful for pain and suffering, i know that sounds like a horrible book to read but if you are up 2 it u should deffinently read it sometime
posted Apr 7, 2008 at 8:06PM
amy beth said:
This beautiful and poignant story reminds readers that the cold analysis of life, the scientific measurement and ordered march toward a controllable, greater good is a pursuit of life without meaning. Without accepting and celebrating the myriad of emotion -- love, anger, joy, pain, fear, belief, and without acknowledging the weight of the past and our connection to it, we are only animals; we deny the magic and power of our special, human creation.
posted Jan 18, 2008 at 4:51PM
Helen said:
The Giver is a sad but good book. It is based on a story about a boy named Jonas and his life in the community that he is living in. If you like a mix of sadness and adventure you should read The Giver
posted Jul 1, 2007 at 9:17AM
Helen said:
posted Jul 1, 2007 at 9:17AM
graulak said:
The giver is about a community in the future where feelings are prohibited, there are no choices and a poisonous fluid is given to the elderly, and people and new children that are a risk to community, jonas the main character does not find this out until at his ceremony of twelve when he gets his assignment (job) the speaker skips him and then at the end announces jonas as the new giver. the giver is the holder of all memories both good and bad and is a very important person, but after one year of training jonas finds out about "release" a ritual in witch children that are to young or identical and the elderly along with the people that pose a threat to the community are given a life taken injection and killed when jonas finds out he and the giver make a plan one the might result in release for both him and the giver but jonas doesn’t care he has found the true meaning of freedom and wants it more than anything, he has nothing to leave behind....except the giver whom jonas has grown to love but now must leave behind…..
posted Jun 5, 2006 at 8:37PM
Brooke said:
The Giver is a book about a boy, Jonas, who lives in a community free from pain, emotions, and normal life. Then he is chosen to be the next Receiver, the honored person chosen to receive all the memories. Underneath the Giver's training, Jonas learns many things that he has never heard of before, painful and happy. This book is very good, even though it was a bit strange at first! But I really enjoyed The Giver.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Molly said:
I really liked it. I think everyone should read it because it gives an idea of what the world might be like without war, color, music and lots of other things. [Newbery Medal Winner]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Morgan said:
it was awsome! i read it for a book report last year, and i read ahed of the class.i recomend this to everyone who likes fanicy,old fashond stuff, and books in generil. it is about a boy who was chosen to be a "Giver" he was to be given the job when the prevous Giver died. Five stars!
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Heather said:
I thought this book was just extrodairny. It drew me into its fasacaniting plot about the future and I felt like I was in the book as a reciever with Jonas, the main character. I couldn't stop reading it, I was so sucked into it. [Newbery Medal Winner]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Jessica said:
I think The Giver is a wonderful book that lets your imagination run free! The Giver really sets your mind to the future.
posted Apr 19, 2006 at 5:35PM
Aaron said:
I thought this was a great book. I thought it was very suspensfull, and I had a hard time putting the book down.
posted Nov 6, 2005 at 10:16AM
Beth said:
This is an amazing book. It is set in a "perfect world," but yet, is it really perfect?? There are no colors, no love, and no seasons or weather. Of course, there are many things that it doesn't have that arn't considered bad, though. There is no war, no pain, no death. But for identical twins, they kill the younger/weaker one. Jonas, though learns about all these things, since he is the Reciever. But Jonas doesn't want to face these hardships alone, so he leaves, giving everyone else the knowlege of these things. If you have not read this book, go strait to your nearest library and pick it up, because it is the best book ever!
posted Jul 3, 2005
Julie said:
It is very cool. I loved the memmorys that Jonas had. I laughed and cried with the characters. I recomend this book to everyone who loves to read! [Newbery Medal Winner, 1994]
posted May 11, 2005
Katie said:
I really liked this book. It's about a 12 yr old boy named Jonas who lives in a seemingly perfect world. But when he is given a job that he never expected, everything changes and he is forced to go against his community. This is one of those books that every time you read it, you figure something out that you never realized before. Recommended to all ages.
posted Dec 23, 2004
corey said:
I thought that this book was very suspencful and sometoimes pretty sad. It starts off with this kid who's name I can't remember and is just about to turn twelve when he gets a suprise.
posted Nov 19, 2004 at 10:03AM
Kelly said:
This has to be one of the best books I have ever read! This is a story about a boy named Jonas who is turning twelve and gets assigned a job for his community, like all the other twelve year olds. He gets to know more and more about his community while also growing very different from them. This book really gets you thinking about how much people take for granted every day. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes good reads!
posted Oct 23, 2004
Emma said:
I LOVED this book. I was reading it for my book club and everyone there loved it but one person!!! IT's sort of like this: It's in the future kind of, it's about this little town and everyone is the same becuase they want everything to be perfect. Then the main character, Jonas, becomes the 'reciever of memory'. So he gets all of the memories that are bad ANd good. But he sees what it was really like before they were all the same. It has a very surprising ending and I would DEFINATLY suggest you read it!!!!
posted May 3, 2004
Emma said:
I really liked this book. I read for my 6th grade mother daughter book-club and it was awsome! If you like sort of futuristic kinds of things, this is the book for you! It's about the future. It's this little town and nothing is wrong because everybody is the same so nobody has any differences and it shows how a boy named Jonas fights through that and learns that everyone is difference. Even though differences make you sad sometimes, they will always make you happy again too.
posted Apr 27, 2004 at 3:27PM
Erika said:
This is a book that can be read many times because each time you read it, you find something you missed. This book is a must read for all teenagers. After reading it, I realized how many choices we really have. Not being able to choose your profession, your husband or wife and not having your own kids would be horrible. This book makes you realize that life can be bad at times, but it can always get worse.
Meg said:
I thought it was really complicated. We just finished reading it for english class and nobody in the class thought it was "awesome" or "cool" we just didn't like it.
Courtney said:
This book was awesome, it was spine chilling, and suspencful, it was one of the best books I have ever read!
Colette said:
I thought that it was sad, heroic, and interesting. its about a world, where everyone is the same. they all have the same birthday, they allsee the same colors, black and white, and they all have the same rules. you have to apply for a spouse, and the leader gives you your job, and you can't have kids, only birthmothers can, because thats there job. this boy is picked to be a reciever. he is recieving feelings, seeing colors, and feeling pain for the first time. The giver gives it to him. he hates his world now. he, and the baby they are going to kill, run away. read this book to see if he suceeds, or dies trying.
Thuy said:
It was a wonderful book. The book was about an utopian society that had no color, emotions, and feelings. Everyone was the same and no one had the freedom to choose things on their own. But one day, a boy named Jonas discovered the community's secrets and felt action had to be taken. The book was very vivid and detailed. It made me realize how invaluable freedom is. We should never take it for granted. Without it, there would be no diversity in this world. Who would want to live in a world where you wouldn't need mirrors because if you looked at another person, you would see your own reflection. I highly recommend this book.
Tiffany said:
This book is great it has alot of wierd things to like this boy who is in a world which has no feeling and is in blck and white finds the giver and the giver passes all the emotions and feelings down to him its hard beacuse of all the pain.
Steve said:
One of the things I love this book is that it leaves so much room for your imagination at the end... It's an excellent story of how a young boy named Jonas finds out how precious and awesome the gift of life is, and how important a real genuine love is. This book really makes you think about the pracice of abortion and other world issues. A FANTASTIC read!!
Steve said:
This has got to be one of the most thought provoking novel ever. It depicts an extremly totalitarian government where the people have lost their individuality in a very moving story. The book also hints that popular practices and movements in our own society lead toward a feelingless life like that in The Giver. Very good book, please read!!
Tabby said:
If you like those strange type of books, the Giver is what you want. It's about a boy who finds out the secrets no one else wants you to know and he has a whole new way of looking at everything. [Newbery Medal Winner]