home > bookspace > my comments > comment: to kill a mockingbird /
To kill a mockingbird
Harper Lee
Adult Fiction LEE

A girl's coming-of-age story complete with racial tension and a spooky neighbor who never comes out. Yet another great classic I urge everyone to read.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 3:57PM
Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Through Scout's eyes and story telling the issues of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up are explored. What I love about this story is how the Lee shows that everyone is human and multi-faceted. Mrs Dubose, a bigot who screams insults at the Finches, is also a courageous woman who kicks her morphine addict and dies “beholden to nothing and nobody”, Miss Caroline Fisher who has compassion for the Jews of Europe but none for blacks of her own community--even Scout herself who can't understand why they shouldn't play games involving Boo Radley. The language of this book may not be appropriate for younger children--but it is a must read for all. 5 out of 5 stars.
posted Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41AM
Vivek said:
A very well written book from a small girl's point of view. You will get lost in your childhood memories while reading the book.Book prologue will tell you that this is about racism etc. but once you start reading you will realise how well that subject has been handled without making the book depressing etc.
posted Jul 28, 2011 at 12:49PM
Rebecka said:
I thought this book would be boring, because it was assigned for school, but it was surprisingly good. I would recommend this book for high schoolers.
posted Jul 7, 2011 at 11:54AM
Rebecka said:
posted Jul 7, 2011 at 11:54AM
Don't really know much about this book, but I thought it'd be a great add.
posted Jan 2, 2011 at 9:37PM
stet said:
This classic is as good a read today as it was for me as a young girl. Harper Lee's powerful story of tolerance, compassion, childhood innocence, and the perseverance of a patient, kind man who risked it all to stand up for what he believed in are timeless.
posted Dec 2, 2010 at 2:43PM
probablynarnia said:
If I had to pick one book that's my absolute favorite, this is probably it (though it probably isn't the one that I would say right away). It is interesting, engaging, and uses a clever way of portraying some tough topics. It is one that everyone should be required to read before they can.. well, whatever. Read this. Now.
posted Jul 12, 2010 at 11:10PM
Summer_Blue said:
A classic that can be read over and over yet a new message comes out of it every time. Even if you have dissected it in school, there is a new meaning every time.
posted Apr 26, 2010 at 6:01PM
Tide said:
Without a doubt my all time favorite book of all time.
posted Mar 27, 2010 at 9:46AM
Tide said:
I think this is really my favorite book :) Incredibly well written, showing the racism and bigamy in a small southern town from the point of few of a young girl. Also a fascinating subplot with the mysterious neighbor, Boo Radley. Will surely keep your intention. Warning: some strong racial language, I would not recommend for children.
posted Mar 5, 2010 at 9:47AM
AllieRose said:
Read this book now, then read it again in a year, and again the year after that, and continue until the day you die. Every time you will get more from this timeless tale and you will never tire of it.
posted Jan 22, 2010 at 9:57PM
Booklover2 said:
A timeless classic that will never grow old this story gives us a view of racial discrimination that no other book can offer.
posted Jul 25, 2009 at 4:47PM
A giant of American literature and required reading in most high schools--as it should be. Every American should read this book. I read this at age 12 and reread it when my teenage kids read it for school. For me it invokes a rare flash of true empathy for the pain of racial injustice.
posted Jul 15, 2008 at 11:39AM
Fish Don't Eat Grub said:
This is my favorite book
posted Jul 25, 2007 at 8:52AM
One of the best first novels ever written.
posted Feb 22, 2007 at 10:39AM
Probably one of the best first novels ever written.
posted Feb 20, 2007 at 8:36PM
Antessa said:
This book will bring you to tears! An amazing read! Everyone should find space on their bookshelf for this one!
posted Jan 28, 2007 at 8:43PM
leticia said:
great book.could read over and over.about life during the 1940's. the racism in a small alabama town.
posted Dec 15, 2006 at 7:07PM
Fleur said:
This book is amazing. It shows how cruel and how loving society can be, all for reasons that don’t make sense at first glance, but if one glances deep down, everything comes together. I loved the way the story is told from a little girl’s point of view, because it simplifies everything, which helped because I read it when I was a lot younger. But the meaning of the book was not lost on me, and it still stands as one of the best books I’ve ever read.
posted Jun 25, 2006 at 7:54PM