home > bookspace > my comments > comment: ender's game /
Ender's game
Orson Scott Card
Adult Fiction CARD

Comments  Summary  Contents  Excerpt  Reviews  Author Notes

Years ago, an alien race invaded earth—twice. By sheer chance, a single commander of the International Fleet managed to defeat the “buggers.” But humans live in fear that they will attack again, and the International Fleet has spent years developing an intense program to train the next generation of all-star commanders. The students at Battle School are children, little boys and girls who nevertheless possess razor-sharp intellect and an instinct for strategy. The top student is Ender Wiggin, just six years old when he leaves his family. Ender is different, and special. Video games, battle simulations, and a fantasy game with a twisted psychological component—plus isolation, bullying, the knowledge that his failure means the end of life of earth, and an uncanny ability to survive and thrive—turn Ender into the ultimate fighting machine. And though Ender may be the earth’s last and best hope, he’s never been predictable—and the buggers are still out there. Despite Ender’s fierce determination, he’s a sympathetic character who’s never allowed to make any plans for his future or stray from the destiny he’s been chosen for. Smart, suspenseful, and thoughtful, Ender’s Game has become a classic of the science fiction genre.
posted Dec 13, 2011 at 2:42PM
Joe E said:
The Main Characters are Ender, Peter, Valentine, and Colonel Graff. The story takes place sometime in the future, mainly in outer space. The problem is that their are these aliens (they are called buggers) couldn’t stand that their was another intelligent species alive: us humans. So the Buggers decided to go to war. Because of that, we built this battle school on the moon. So then the people who work on the moon put little chips in kids to see if they would do well in the battle school. Ender went up to the moon and was the commanding officer in the war, hoping he would win. I really liked the book because it was a page turner. If you read it, you will find out why!
posted Nov 29, 2011 at 2:27PM
Won the 1986 Hugo Award.
posted Jul 25, 2011 at 3:14PM
Won the 1985 Nebula Award.
posted Jul 25, 2011 at 12:15PM
SolStar23 said:
Even if you're not a fan of science fiction, it's likely that you will genuinely enjoy this book. It's full of youthful adventure, intelligence, and an honest yearning for love and compassion.
posted Aug 7, 2010 at 11:24AM
I'm not really into science fiction, but it was only after I read this book that I discovered that it was sci-fi, so I think I'm excused. Well, it's the best sci-fi novel, I've read in a long time. And 'in a long time' means 'since-the-last-fan-fiction-Star-Wars-novel-I-read-which-was-a-while-ago,-because-I-got-fed-up-with-the-fact-that-no-one-could-kill-Darth-Vader-with-whom-I-do-not-sympathize-at-all"
posted Jun 9, 2010 at 1:37PM
AllieRose said:
Also read the Ender's Shadow series.
posted Jan 22, 2010 at 9:49PM
funnywuzzy13 said:
We read this book in 10th grade english. When our teacher handed it out I was of course, close-minded about it. Although I love reading, and I love basically about any book, I was a little skeptical about this one. However, once I started it, I couldn’t stop. One of my favorite books to have read in school, I actually went and bought it I liked it so much. I highly reccommend it to anyone looking for an interesting read.
posted Sep 4, 2009 at 2:14AM
On the Earth of Ender’s Game, aliens have already made contact. They’ve already attacked, in fact, and nearly won not once, but twice. The government is determined that the third battle will finish the alien threat once and for all, and to that end the military has been training children in the desperate hopes of finding the one who will lead the armies of Earth to the ultimate victory. The highest contender for this position is Ender Wiggin, genius among geniuses at the tender age of six. Leaving behind his cruel brother Peter and his loving sister Valentine, Ender enters Battle School. Ender is, without any doubt, an extraordinary child. He’s clever, able to outwit and outsmart his fellow child-soldiers. He’s quick to learn, so quick that he catches on to every “game” his adult supervisors throw at him as they train him in the space-age battle techniques that he masters faster than anyone else. He’s conflicted about the role he’s expected to play and very aware that his training is responsible for the fierce man-like boy that he’s becoming. And overshadowing everything Ender discovers is the looming threat of battle, invasion, and war. It’s an engrossing story about what war does to children and what fear does to men. Ender’s struggle to make his own choices in an environment that has already pre-determined his existence will resonate with readers of every age. Ender’s Game won the two highest awards given to science fiction books, the Hugo and the Nebula Awards, and for very good reason. Orson Scott Card followed up this feat with his sequel, Speaker for the Dead, which goes deeper into the story of the alien race that so threatens Ender’s world.
posted Jul 26, 2009 at 6:08PM
briwand said:
Ender's Game is a great futuristic book that all readers would like.
posted Feb 26, 2009 at 7:56PM
briwand said:
Ender's game is a great futuristic book that all readers would like.
posted Feb 26, 2009 at 7:55PM
Amazing bookby Card. I wasn’t sure if I should read it or not, it seems like a guy book from the start, but as a girl I totally enjoyed it. If you like this you should read Ender’s shadow. It’s the same story but from Bean’s perspective. Also amazingly written.
posted Aug 18, 2008 at 9:36AM
Books You Have To Read said:
OK... so maybe this is a little gross sometimes but it is GOOD. I always told you... little kids are smart.
posted May 23, 2008 at 5:09PM
Books You Have To Read said:
OK... so maybe this is a little gross sometimes but it is GOOD.
posted May 23, 2008 at 4:44PM
Ise said:
This book has to be one of the BEST BOOKS I’ve read so far in the year of 2008. Ender is the Main Character and well you’ll have to just read the book now won’t you!
posted May 13, 2008 at 5:51PM
Vida said:
Scifi book. It's really quite sad some times. ;_;
posted Aug 12, 2007 at 12:02PM
evilcanadian said:
This is an extremely engaging novel that made me feel as if the main character is my friend. Card builds a fantastic story that makes the reader feel true emotions. One cannot help but love this book.
posted Apr 13, 2007 at 6:00PM
Ryan said:
Enders Game is by far the best book that I have ever read. It is about a 6 year old kid in the future. He is harassed and teased for being a third child. Ender is sent off to space to a space training center. The kids at the training center are training to fight the buggers, an alien enemy. This book is filled with excitement, joy, and uncertainty that will keep you at the edge of your seat until the last page is turned. Everyone should at one point read this book!
posted Mar 29, 2007 at 7:05PM
Ryan said:
posted Mar 29, 2007 at 7:05PM
Andrea said:
This book was extremely interesting. As you follow Ender Wiggin's journey to save to world from alian 'buggers' you begin to feel his pain. The book was well writen and hard to put down.
posted Jul 9, 2005
Heidi said:
This is an amazing book about a young boy named Ender who is a genius among geniuses. He is sent of to battle school where he learns strategy, astronomy, and -most importantly- how to command an army. Ender needs these skills, because, at the age of twelve, he is expected to save the world from aliens. This is a fantastic book and I think anyone who likes science fiction should read it. [Sequel: Speaker for the Dead]
posted Aug 10, 2004
Dan said:
Ender goes to battle school and he is the youngest there, at the age of 6, he becomes something better than the lowest. Saying anything else would give the ending away.
Allen said:
I was reluctant to start reading this book at first, but once I opened it up I was litterally unable to put it down. It includes in depth thoughts and abstract ideas, as well as zero gravity combat. If you see this book grab it and never let it go.